- A-Z guide to Shakespeare
- View DescriptionABI/INFORM global
This resource, one of the largest business databases, contains citations and some full-text articles from scholarly journals, popular magazines, and newspapers (including full-text articles from the Wall Street Journal back to 1984), as well as full-text business cases, conference proceedings, and dissertations.
- View DescriptionABSEES online : American bibliography of Slavic and East European studies
This interdisciplinary resource, American Bibliography of Slavic and East European Studies provides citations to articles on Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. Materials referenced include journal articles, books, book chapters, book reviews, dissertations, and more, published since 1989.
- View DescriptionAcademic one file
This resource is multidisciplinary and indexes a large number of peer-reviewed, scholarly journals, as well as newspapers, books, and multimedia content such as videos, podcasts and audio files. Articles may be available as full text or as citations or abstracts.
- View DescriptionAcademic search premier
This resource is a multidisciplinary database that provides access to scholarly journal literature across all disciplines, as well as magazine articles and some newspaper articles. It is a recommended starting point for research on any subject, and very useful for topics that span disciplines. It includes some full text as well as links to full text.
- View DescriptionAccessible archives (18th-early 20th centuries)
This resource includes a variety of primary source materials relating to U.S. history from the 18th through the early 20th centuries. The collection includes newspapers, magazines, county histories, books, and more. Note: most materials in this collection are text (not image-based) versions of the originals.
- View DescriptionAccessMedicine
Use this resource to access key medical textbooks as well as case files, reference resources, health-related infographics, and multimedia resources.
- Achieving sustainability
- View DescriptionACM digital library
This resource provides a portal to full-text articles published by the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). The content includes journals, conference papers, magazines, newsletters, and selected book titles in the fields of computing and information technology.
- View DescriptionActa sanctorum
This resource is the electronic version of the complete printed text of Acta Sanctorum
, which is a collection of documents, written in Latin, examining the lives of the saints (hagiography), organized according to each saint's feast day. It includes all prefatory material and original texts with critical commentaries on the source documents. It is cross-searchable with Patrologia Latina Database
- View DescriptionAfrican American newspapers (1827-1998)
This resource provides access to newspapers by and/or for African Americans. Significant titles include: Freedom's Journal, the first African American newspaper published in the US; Frederick Douglass' Paper; and the Washington Bee. Explore historical events related to the anti-slavery movement, the great migration, the modern civil rights movement, and more. Search or browse the collection to find news articles, letters to the editor, advertisements, images, and editorials.
- View DescriptionAGRICOLA
This resource, created by the National Agricultural Library, provides comprehensive access to U.S. agricultural and life science information, including journal articles, books chapters, monographs, theses, patents, and technical reports. AGRICOLA covers all aspects of agriculture and allied disciplines, including animal and veterinary sciences, entomology, plant sciences, forestry, aquaculture and fisheries, farming and farming systems, agricultural economics, extension and education, food and human nutrition, and earth and environmental sciences.
- View DescriptionAgricultural & environmental science database (formerly Environmental sciences and pollution management)
This resource is a multidisciplinary compendium of databases that covers broadly: agriculture, environmental sciences, pollution, energy, ecology, air and water quality, and other environmentally related topics. It includes references to journal articles, reports, books, conference proceedings and government publications. It contains citations with abstracts and some links to full text.
- View DescriptionAlexander Street counseling
This resource provides access to streaming videos for the study of counseling, social work, psychotherapy, psychology, and psychiatric counseling. Videos often include demonstrations of a certain counseling technique or method. Clips can be made and saved to a personal library. Full videos or clips can be linked or embedded.
- View DescriptionAlt-PressWatch
This resource gives researchers full-text access to alternative, independent, and grassroots-supported newspapers, journals, and magazines, including Burlington's Seven Days. These publications cover local, national, and international news and issues with a critical view that contrasts with coverage in corporate-owned media.
- View DescriptionAlternative press index
This resource provides citations for articles from international alternative and small-press journals, newspapers and magazines, sometimes with links to full text. Articles include news reports, biographical profiles and arts reviews and cover cultural, economic, political and social change over the last 25 years.
- View DescriptionAltmetric explorer.
This resource tracks the attention that scholarly articles and data sets receive online. It draws data from social media, journals, newspapers, mass media, blogs, and online reference managers.
Note: It is not necessary to create an account within Altmetric Explorer. If you choose to do so, you will need to use your UVM or UVMMC e-mail address to link your account to our subscription, but be sure not to reuse your UVM or UVMMC password with it.
- View DescriptionAmerica, history & life
This resource provides information and full-text access to materials on American and Canadian history from prehistoric times to the present. It references materials published since 1964 and includes journal articles, book reviews, dissertations, and more.
- American Chemical Society journals
- American decades
- American decades: 2000-2009
- American decades primary sources
- American decades primary sources: 2000-2009
- View DescriptionAmerican historical periodicals from the American Antiquarian Society
This resource provides access to a wide array of difficult-to-find American periodicals that were published between 1684 and 1922. The collection offers multiple perspectives on the thought, culture, and society of North America.
- View DescriptionAmerican history in video
This collection includes both original archival materials and documentary streaming video on American history. Search for videos by keyword or browse by time period, subject, people, places, and more. Each video includes a full transcript, and users may create clips for use in teaching.
- View DescriptionAmerican Library Association archives
This resource contains non-current records of the American Library Association (ALA) dating back to the 1920s, including full-text records from elected officers, administrative and staff offices, executive board, council, annual conferences, associations and divisions, round tables on special interests, and committees. ALA Archives also includes correspondence, publications, photographs, sound recordings, films, and video.
- American memory
- View DescriptionAmerican national biography online
Each biographical essay in this extensive collection includes an in-depth overview of the subject's life and significance in American history. Entries provide a list of further readings and, when applicable, indicate where the subject's papers or manuscripts are located.
- American Physical Society journals
- View DescriptionAmerican state papers, 1789-1838
This resource provides access to primary source materials related to the Early Republic of the United States. It contains searchable full-page images of documents, reports, maps, and statistics from the U.S. Congress and other federal government agencies.
- View DescriptionAmerica's historical newspapers (1690-1999)
This full-text collection includes hundreds of American newspapers from all 50 states published between 1690 and 1999 (most coverage is for dates prior to 1924). Papers are presented as full-image PDFs and include news, editorials, advertisements, and more.
- View DescriptionAncestry library edition
This resource is marketed as a collection on family history and genealogy materials but is useful for conducting other historically based research. It includes census and voter data; vital records; immigration and naturalization records including passenger lists; selected court, land and probate records; United States military and draft records; city directories; maps; statistics; and reference books. The census data included is largely from the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, and Western Europe. Date coverage varies but is primarily 18th century - present.
- Ancient Greece and Rome
- View DescriptionAnnals of Congress (1789-1824) (in: Congressional record bound edition & predecessors, 1789-present)
This resource contains summaries and some full-text of debates, speeches and floor activity in the U.S. Congress, from 1789 to 1824.
- View DescriptionAnthropological fieldwork online
This resource provides access to digitized primary documents from the original fieldwork of seminal anthropologists in the early 20th century, including Bronislaw Malinowski, Victor and Edith Turner, Max Gluckman, Raymond Firth, Ruth Benedict, Charles Seligman and Edith Durham. This is an excellent resource for students and scholars studying the history and development of the field of anthropology. It includes fieldwork notes, photographs, letters, and other primary source materials.
- View DescriptionAnthropologyPlus
This resource provides comprehensive indexing of journal articles, reports, commentaries, edited works, and obituaries in all the sub-disciplines of anthropology, including cultural, social, physical, biological, linguistics, archaeology, folklore, and interdisciplinary studies. It provides complete citations with descriptors and geographic information.
- View DescriptionAnthroSource
This resource is a full-text, searchable database of publications from the American Anthropological Association (AAA). It contains the full-text of articles from AAA journals, newsletters, bulletins, and monographs.
- View DescriptionAristoteles Latinus database
This resource provides the complete collection of medieval Latin translations of Aristotle. These can be searched by period, author, clavis, or century.
- View DescriptionArt full text
This resource includes articles and images on a wide variety of topics relating to art, art history, architecture, design, and film and media studies published in scholarly and professional journals.
- View DescriptionARTFL project, University of Chicago
This resource is North America's largest collection of digitized resources in French. It comprises ARTFL-FRANTEXT, which indexes French texts, and more specialized collections of French women writers, Provençal poetry, ancient French texts, and historical dictionaries.
- Arts & humanities through the eras
- View DescriptionARTstor
This resource provides images of artworks and cultural artifacts of a wide variety of types, including paintings, sculpture, photographs, prints, furniture, textiles, ceramics, and more from around the world. The collection can be searched by creator, time period, type of work or by region of origin.
- View DescriptionAssociated Press (AP) photo archive
This photojournalism database provides access to photographs, graphs, and audio files from the Associated Press covering worldwide news events. It includes photographs dating back to the nineteenth century, as well as audio files from the twentieth and twenty-first centuries.
- View DescriptionATLA religion database
This resource is an index to scholarly works in all fields of religion and theology, including Biblical studies, ancient religions, world religions, church history, mythology, archaeology, and religious perspectives on social issues. It contains citations to articles in journals, books, book chapters, and book reviews. Some citations have links to full-text articles.
- View DescriptionAtlas of North American English
This resource provides an overall view of the pronunciation and vowel systems of the dialects of the US and Canada. It redefines the regional dialects of American English on the basis of sound changes active in the 1990s and draws new boundaries reflecting those changes. It also includes audio files.
- Bailey's industrial oil and fat products
- Beacham's guide to the endangered species of North America
- View DescriptionBerg fashion library
This resource is a searchable portal to integrated text and image content on world dress and fashion throughout history. It covers all aspects of clothing, dress, fashion, and textiles around the world. It contains the Berg Encyclopedia of World Dress and Fashion, fashion and costume dictionaries, and e-books. It provides selected images from the encyclopedia and selected museum collections in the U.S. and abroad.
- View DescriptionBibliography of British and Irish history
This resource contains citations to articles, books, and book chapters on all aspects of British and Irish history, including the history of the British Empire and Commonwealth from all historical periods. It includes information about journal articles, books, and book chapters, published worldwide from 1900 to the present. Click the blue "IP Authentication" button for access.
- View DescriptionBibliography of medieval civilisation
This resource includes information about books published about historical periods from 300 to 1500. Use it to locate citations to books on Medieval history, literature, art, and culture.
- View DescriptionBiography in context
This resource contains full-text biographical information on people from all periods, locations, and subject areas. It includes 650,000 entries covering international figures, drawn from numerous reference sources, plus multi-media content and full-text periodical articles.
- View DescriptionBiological & agricultural index
This resource provides comprehensive coverage to scholarly literature and popular press in the biological and agricultural sciences, including agricultural industry, environmental science, veterinary science, and wildlife management.
- Birds of North America online (see Birds of the world)
- View DescriptionBirds of the world (formerly Birds of North America online)
This resource provides comprehensive, multimedia information (text, photos, audio, and video) about birds. It combines scholarly content of four works from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, along with eBird observations, media from Cornell's Macaulay Library, and more.
- View DescriptionBook review index
This resource is an index to reviews (1960s-present) for adult and children's books from popular, trade, refereed, and scholarly publications. It contains citations to book reviews, frequently with links to full-text reviews.
- Boston globe
- View DescriptionBoston globe (ProQuest historical newspapers, 1872-rolling end date)
This database is a digitized version of the microfilm edition of the Boston Globe (1872-1990). The paper is fully digitized in PDF format and includes news reports, editorials and editorial cartoons, advertisements, reviews, obituaries, and illustrations and photographs.
- Brill's encyclopedia of Hinduism
- View DescriptionBritannica academic
This resource provides access to the complete Encyclopædia Britannica. Articles are written by scholars and experts and include photographs, tables, graphs and videos. The resource also offers access to additional reference sources such as Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary and Thesaurus and country statistics.
- View DescriptionBritish history online
This resource is a collection of digitized primary and secondary sources relating to British history from the 11th through the 19th centuries. Types of materials include Parliamentary, legal, church, and local histories.
- View DescriptionBurlington free press
This resource provides full-text access to selected articles published in the Burlington Free Press newspaper 1999-present. Coverage is NOT cover-to-cover. Only selected articles are included, as determined by the Burlington Free Press, and only articles written by the newspaper staff. It does not contain newswire reports.
- View DescriptionBurlington free press archive (ProQuest historical newspapers, 1848-2007)
This database provides full page and article images with searchable full text from the daily edition of the Burlington Free Press published from 1848-2007. The collection includes digital reproductions of every page from every issue in PDF format. For best search results set parameters to look for search terms "in Anywhere."
- Business Insights: essentials (see Gale Business: insights)
- View DescriptionBusiness market research collection (formerly Hoover's company profiles)
This resource provides information about public and non-public companies, including company description, history, products, competitors, executives (and salaries), and financial data. (Previous title: Hoover's Company Profiles.)
- View DescriptionCAB direct
This resource covers international applied life and environmental sciences literature, including journal articles, books and book chapters, conference proceedings, newsletters, reports, and gray literature. It has strong international coverage. It includes CAB Abstracts, CABI Full Text, and Global Health.
- Cabell's directory of publishing opportunities. Business
- Cabell's directory of publishing opportunities. Educational directories
- Cabell's directory of publishing opportunities. Psychology & psychiatry
- Cambridge ancient history
- Cambridge economic history of the Greco-Roman world
- View DescriptionCambridge histories online
This resource provides access to in-depth, scholarly histories on a wide variety of topics in U.S. and world history, and the history of specific disciplines. Full-text content is available for each title and many titles comprise multiple volumes.
- Cambridge history of African American literature
- View DescriptionCambridge history of African and Caribbean literature
To access volume 2, click here
- Cambridge history of American literature
- Cambridge history of American theatre
- Cambridge history of British theatre
- Cambridge history of Chinese literature
- Cambridge history of Christianity
- Cambridge history of classical literature
- Cambridge history of early medieval English literature
- Cambridge history of early modern English literature
- Cambridge history of English literature, 1660-1780
- Cambridge history of English romantic literature
- Cambridge history of gay and lesbian literature
- Cambridge history of Greek and Roman political thought
- Cambridge history of Greek and Roman warfare
- Cambridge history of Hellenistic philosophy
- Cambridge history of Japanese literature
- View DescriptionCambridge history of Judaism
This multi-volume work contains essays on the history of Judaism from the Exile in 5 87 B.C.E. to the end of the 20th century. Contributors include Jewish and non-Jewish scholars from many countries. Volumes 1-4 and 6-8 are available.
- Cambridge history of literary criticism
- Cambridge history of magic and witchcraft in the West
- Cambridge history of medieval English literature
- View DescriptionCambridge history of postcolonial literature
To access volume 2, click here
- Cambridge history of postmodern literature
- Cambridge history of religions in America
- Cambridge history of religions in Latin America
- Cambridge history of Spanish literature
- Cambridge history of the English language
- Cambridge history of Victorian literature
- Cambridge history of world music
- Cambridge world history
- View DescriptionCambridge world history of food
This two-volume resource covers the history of food and nutrition: foods that have been hunted, gathered, cultivated, and domesticated; their nutritional make-up and uses; and their impact on cultures and demography. It offers a geographical perspective on the history and culture of food and drink and takes up subjects from food fads, prejudices, and taboos to questions of food toxins, additives, labelling, and entitlements. Volume 2 contains A Historical Dictionary of the World’s Plant Foods.
- Cambridge world prehistory
- View DescriptionCenter for Research Libraries catalog
This resource is the catalog of the collections of the CRL. UVM is a member of this library cooperative and as such we can borrow the unique materials it has in their collection. Use this catalog to locate hard-to-find newspapers and magazines, primary source collections, and books. Place requests through Interlibrary Loan.
- View DescriptionCheckpoint
This resource provides full-text information on U.S. taxation at the federal, state, and local levels. It includes the full text of Federal Tax Coordinator 2nd edition, United States Tax Reporter, Citator 2nd edition, Journal of Taxation, and other resources.
- View DescriptionChicago defender (ProQuest historical newspapers, 1909-1975)
This resource provides full-page reproductions of one of the most influential African-American newspapers of the 20th century. The paper includes coverage of events and issues such as the Great Migration, the Anti-Lynching Campaign, and the Civil Rights Movement.
- Chicago manual of style online
- View DescriptionChicago tribune (ProQuest historical newspapers, 1849-rolling end date)
This resource provides access to full-text articles published in the Chicago Tribune (1849-1998). The paper is in PDF format and includes news reports, editorials and editorial cartoons, advertisements, reviews, obituaries, and illustrations and photographs.
- Child welfare information gateway.
- Children's literature review
- View DescriptionChinese newspapers collection (1832-1953)
This collection provides access to English-language newspapers published in China between 1832 and 1953. Papers are fully digitized in PDF and include news articles, editorials, cartoons and advertisements.
- View DescriptionChoice reviews online
This resource provides authoritative full-text reviews of more than 200,000 academic, non-fiction books and digital resources of interest to scholars and students in higher education.
- View DescriptionChristian science monitor (ProQuest historical newspapers, 1908-rolling end date)
This resource provides access to the Christian Science Monitor (1908-2009). The paper is in PDF format and includes accompanying illustrations and photographs.
- Chronicle of higher education
- View DescriptionChronicling America: historic American newspapers (1789-1963)
This open source collection includes digitized local newspapers from all regions of the U.S. and provides a number of ethnic and foreign language titles. Papers are presented as full image PDFs and include news, editorials, advertisements, and more. Dates of publication range from the late 18th century through 1963.
- View DescriptionCINAHL complete
This resource provides bibliographic records, some with links to full text, for the research and professional literature in nursing and other allied health fields such as physical therapy and athletic training.
- Cities of the world
- View DescriptionCivil engineering database
This resource contains records for all American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) journal articles, conference papers, ebooks, and standards, covering civil engineering, materials science and transportation engineering. For many items, there are links to full text in ASCE Library.
- Cleveland plain dealer (1845-1991)
- View DescriptionColonial state papers
This resource, created by the British National Archives, is a collection of primary source documents from the 16th to 18th centuries relating to Britain's presence and activities in America, Canada, and the West Indies. Many documents are available as full-text images, while others have descriptive bibliographic information.
- Columbia gazetteer of the world
- View DescriptionColumbia Granger's World of poetry
This resource is a searchable database of full-text poems and citations to poems in anthologies by major poets worldwide from all eras. It also contains biographical profiles of poets, poem commentaries, a glossary of poetry terms, and spoken word audio recordings of poems.
- View DescriptionCommunications & mass media collection
This database identifies research on all aspects of the communications field including journalism; mass media; advertising; public relations; literature and writing; linguistics; and discourse analysis. It includes scholarly journals, magazines, and news sources. It contains citations, some with links to full text.
- View DescriptionCompendex
This resource is one of the largest and broadest databases covering all areas of engineering. It contains bibliographic records for journal articles, trade magazine articles and conference papers. Records have links to citation data and full-text holdings.
- Concise companion to the Jewish religion
- Concise Oxford companion to African American literature
- Concise Oxford companion to the English language
- Concise Oxford companion to the theatre
- Concise Oxford dictionary of archaeology
- Concise Oxford dictionary of art terms
- Concise Oxford dictionary of linguistics
- Concise Oxford dictionary of politics and international relations
- Concise Oxford dictionary of the Christian Church
- Concise Oxford dictionary of world religions
- View DescriptionConference Board research online collection
This resource contains full-text research reports, articles, and presentations on corporate leadership, management, marketing, human resources, environment, and economics topics published by the Conference Board, an independent business research association.
- View DescriptionCongress.gov
This is the official website for U.S. federal legislative information dating back to 1799. The resource includes proposed and enacted legislation, congressional debates and actions, committee reports, and other information on the activities and members of Congress. Materials are available in full text and can be retrieved through the use of citations or keyword searches.
- View DescriptionCongressional Globe (1833-1873) (in: Congressional record bound edition & predecessors, 1789-present)
This resource contains summaries and some full text of debates, speeches and floor activity in the U.S. Congress from 1833 to 1873. This resource is continued by the Congressional Record
- View DescriptionCongressional record
This full-text resource contains a substantially verbatim account of debates, speeches, and floor activity in the U. S. Congress, from 1873 to present. This resource is preceded by the Congressional Globe
- Contemporary fashion
- View DescriptionContemporary literary criticism
Part Gale Literature Criticism, this resource is a searchable database of full-length or excerpted criticism of works in all literary genres and biographical information about significant fiction and nonfiction writers and filmmakers worldwide now living or who died after December 31,1999. It presents a range of modern and historical views on writers and their works.
- View DescriptionCountries and their cultures
This encyclopedia includes entries for each country in the world and focuses on providing general and cultural background information, including location, geography, language, demography, economy, history, food, politics, social welfare, gender roles, family and kinship, religion, and more.
- View DescriptionCQ almanac
This resource provides analysis of major federal legislation on an annual basis (1945-2020). The source groups legislation by topics such as agriculture, defense, foreign relations, health, education and welfare. Voting patterns of Congress members are given extensive coverage. Citations for congressional materials are provided, allowing access to primary sources through the use of other resources.
- View DescriptionCQ legislative tracking
This resource provides comprehensive information on federal legislation. Bill profiles, debate and analysis are included. This resource also includes Congressional Research Service reports, committee reports, vote records, and video from the floor of the House of Representatives.
- View DescriptionCQ magazine
This resource provides non-partisan reporting on Congress and current political and legislative issues. It covers the week’s political and legislative news, voting records and detailed issue reports, dating back to 1983.
- View DescriptionCQ researcher
This resource presents full-text reports examining government policy and current issues. Each report includes historical context, recent news and developments, statistics, arguments from opposing sides of the debate, and bibliographic references to related sources. Topics include politics, economics, law, media and more.
- View DescriptionCriminal justice database
This resource is a database supporting research on law enforcement, litigation, and all aspects of crime. It includes scholarly journals, trade publications, magazines, reports, dissertations, and other materials. It contains citations, some with links to full text.
- View DescriptionCRS reports
This resource provides non-partisan analyses of issues facing the U.S. Congress, published by the Congressional Research Service and dating from 1978 to present.
- View DescriptionCurrent index to statistics
This resource is a useful resource for research literature covering statistics, probability and related fields published 1975-2017. It contains citations for an extensive collection of journal articles, books and conference proceedings.
- View DescriptionCurrent topics in developmental biology
This resource contains surveys of major topics in the field of developmental biology. It provides in-depth reviews of cellular and molecular mechanisms in animal and plant development. Each volume has a central theme (e.g., hox genes, notch signaling, myogenesis, microRNAs, gametogenesis, epigenetics, stem cells, etc.) and comprises scholarly chapters written by researchers in the field.
- D & B business browser (see D & B Hoovers)
- View DescriptionD & B Hoovers (formerly D & B business browser; formerly OneSource; formerly International businesses)
This resource provides access to business news, information about executives, and international industry reports. It also provides information on companies (public and private; U.S. and non-U.S.), covering financials, corporate hierarchy, executives and compensation, SEC filings, recent news, competitors, stock and debt information, financial ratios, and brands. It allows company screening. (Previous title: OneSource.)
- View DescriptionDance in video
This collection features performances from the most influential dancers and companies together with dozens of documentaries, interviews, and dance instruction videos.
- View DescriptionDatabase of Latin dictionaries
This resource provides access to a growing number of Latin dictionaries covering Antiquity, Patristic Period, Middle Ages and later; Thematic dictionaries; Medieval dictionaries. It includes, but is not limited to, Blaise - Patristic, Firmini Verris Dictionarius, and Du Cange (Glossarium mediae et infimae latinitatis, ed. 1883-1887). Use the "Advanced Search" option to search an individual dictionary or cross-search multiple dictionaries in the database.
- View DescriptionDataPlanet
This resource offers access to 65 billion U.S. and international data points from over 90 sources, covering agriculture and food, business, economy, education, energy, environment, politics, and more. Also offers customizable visualizations of data (tables, charts, maps, etc.).
- View DescriptionDiagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (DSM-5)
This resource, abbreviated as DSM-5, is the fifth edition of the American Psychiatric Association's (APA) classification and diagnostic tool of mental disorders. The 2013 update includes a comprehensive overview of each listed disorder as well as detailed information regarding the specific criteria required for a diagnosis. This manual is intended to be used by both healthcare and mental health professionals.
- Dictionary of accounting
- Dictionary of African mythology
- Dictionary of American history
- Dictionary of American History. Supplement 2016
- Dictionary of animal behaviour
- Dictionary of architecture and landscape architecture
- Dictionary of Asian mythology
- Dictionary of astronomy
- Dictionary of biology
- Dictionary of British history
- Dictionary of Buddhism
- Dictionary of business and management
- Dictionary of Celtic mythology
- Dictionary of chemistry
- Dictionary of Chinese literature
- Dictionary of computing
- Dictionary of contemporary world history
- Dictionary of creation myths
- Dictionary of critical theory
- Dictionary of cultural anthropology
- Dictionary of ecology
- Dictionary of economics
- Dictionary of English folklore
- Dictionary of film studies
- Dictionary of finance and banking
- Dictionary of food and nutrition
- Dictionary of genetics
- Dictionary of Hinduism
- Dictionary of human resource management
- View DescriptionDictionary of literary biography
This resource is a searchable database of literary biographies written by recognized literary scholars and critics, profiling past and present authors, historians, journalists, screenwriters, publishers, and playwrights worldwide from every era.
- Dictionary of marketing
- Dictionary of media and communication
- Dictionary of modern design
- View DescriptionDictionary of Old English: A to I
This resource, a work in progress, defines the vocabulary of the first six centuries (C.E. 600-1150) of the English language. It complements the Middle English Dictionary (C.E. 1100-1500) and the Oxford English Dictionary, which together provide a full description of the vocabulary of English.
- Dictionary of physics
- Dictionary of plant sciences
- Dictionary of political biography
- Dictionary of popes
- Dictionary of psychology
- Dictionary of sociology
- Dictionary of the Bible
- Dictionary of the social sciences
- Dictionary of twentieth-century art
- Dictionary of weather
- Dictionary of weights, measures, and units
- Dictionary of world history
- Dictionary of world mythology
- View DescriptionDigital theatre+
This resource is a British-based collection of high-definition streaming videos which captures live full-length professional theatre productions from leading theatre companies primarily in Great Britain. It also includes text- and video-based study guides; teaching aids; videos of filmed interviews with actors, etc., associated with the productions; full-text of the Manga Shakespeare series.
- View DescriptionDiner's dictionary
This resource features over 2,300 food-oriented words and phrases, presenting word origins of common fruit and vegetables to exotic foreign dishes, including junk food. Selective entries lean more towards background and entertainment than formal definitions.
- View DescriptionDMPTool
This resource helps researchers and institutions to create, review, and share high-quality data management plans that meet institutional and funder requirements. It compiles up-to-date funder requirements from large grant-awarding organizations and federal agencies. It also provides links to funder information, suggested language, and additional resources.
- View DescriptionDrama criticism
Part of Gale Literature Criticism, this resource is a searchable database of full-length or excerpted criticism of plays and biographical information about significant dramatists worldwide from all eras. It presents a range of modern and historical views on dramatists and their works.
- Dynasties of the world
- View DescriptionE-EROS (Encyclopedia of reagents for organic synthesis)
This resource provides detailed information on more than 5,000 reagents and catalysts. Content is accessible via alphabetical browse or text search.
- View DescriptionEarly American imprints, series I (1639-1800)
This resource contains primary source materials related to American history, literature, culture, and more. Items include digital images of books (hymnals, literature, travelogues, diaries, cookbooks, maps, textbooks, and more), broadsides, and pamphlets published in the United States between 1639 and 1800.
- View DescriptionEarly American imprints, series II (1801-1819)
This resource contains primary source materials related to American history, literature, culture, and more. Items include digital images of books (hymnals, literature, travelogues, diaries, cookbooks, maps, textbooks, and more), broadsides, and pamphlets published in the United States between 1801 and 1819.
- View DescriptionEarly English books online
This resource provides searchable access to digitized literary and historical works in all subjects printed in England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and British North America, as well as works in English printed elsewhere, from 1475-1700.
- Ebook central
- View DescriptionEBSCO eBook collection
This resource is an extensive collection of e-books covering a wide, multidisciplinary range of topics. These e-books can be used on your computer or downloaded to your device.
- View DescriptionEconLit
This resource provides access to scholarly literature in economics and related fields. It includes abstracts and indexes for journal articles, books, and dissertations, including links to many of the articles.
- View DescriptionEconomist historical archive (1843-rolling end date)
This resource is the digital archive of the Economist (1843-2020). This weekly London (UK) magazine covers politics, business and other news. It contains searchable digital images of the original pages.
- View DescriptionEducator's reference complete
This resource is an appropriate starting-point for research in educational principles, child development and psychology, and best practices in teaching. It is more limited than ERIC
, which is preferred for comprehensive research. It contains citations for articles, reports, books, newspapers, and audio/visual material in both scholarly journals and non-scholarly publications. Many citations include article full text.
- View DescriptionEMBASE
This resource is used to find scholarly and evidence-based articles from biomedical journals, and is especially strong in its coverage of drug and pharmaceutical research.
- View DescriptionEmerald
This resource provides access to over 3,300 e-books and 300 journals by academics and industry leaders from over 150 countries on a range of subjects including business, economics, education, engineering, health, public policy, and sociology.
- Encyclopaedia Iranica
- Encyclopaedia Judaica
- Encyclopedia of aesthetics
- Encyclopedia of Africa
- Encyclopedia of aging
- Encyclopedia of ancient Greek language and linguistics
- Encyclopedia of ancient history
- Encyclopedia of applied psychology
- Encyclopedia of biodiversity
- Encyclopedia of Buddhism
- Encyclopedia of clothing and fashion
- Encyclopedia of crime and justice
- Encyclopedia of death and the human experience
- Encyclopedia of disability
- Encyclopedia of education
- Encyclopedia of educational reform and dissent
- Encyclopedia of energy
- Encyclopedia of European social history from 1350 to 2000
- Encyclopedia of food and culture
- Encyclopedia of genocide and crimes against humanity
- Encyclopedia of global human migration
- View DescriptionEncyclopedia of global warming
This resource comprises essays written by qualified scholars without bias; most include annotated bibliographies and suggestions for further reading. Appendix features biographical information on key figures in the history of global warming. Searching features include broad table of contents links as well as typing in desired subject. Strength is in providing background, history , and development of our understanding of climate change and global warming.
- Encyclopedia of human nutrition
- Encyclopedia of international media and communications
- Encyclopedia of Islam and the Muslim world
- View DescriptionEncyclopedia of language & linguistics
This resource deals comprehensively with the current research in formal linguistics, psycholinguistics, sociolinguistics, and language studies. It explores the diverse views and perspectives encountered in research and thinking in the field, and emphasizes the multidisciplinary nature of language study. It includes audio files.
- Encyclopedia of philosophy
- Encyclopedia of population
- Encyclopedia of race and racism
- Encyclopedia of recreation and leisure in America
- Encyclopedia of religion
- Encyclopedia of religion in America
- Encyclopedia of small business
- Encyclopedia of social work
- Encyclopedia of soils in the environment
- Encyclopedia of special education
- Encyclopedia of the American constitution
- Encyclopedia of Victorian literature
- Encyclopedia of world cultures
- Encyclopedia of world cultures. Supplement
- View DescriptionEnvironment complete
This resource references journal and periodical articles, conference papers, and monographs in broad areas related to the environment, including but not limited to: ecology, energy, natural resources, geography, pollution, law, policy, social and human impacts, and planning. It includes some full text and links to full text.
- Environmental sciences and pollution management (see Agricultural & environmental science database)
- View DescriptionERIC database
This resource is the preferred search tool in the field of education. It contains scholarly and practitioner-oriented articles in peer-reviewed and other journals, papers given at conferences, and scholarly reports in education and the behavioral sciences. It provides citation records, as well as a large amount of full-text content. Access for non-UVM affiliates @ eric.ed.gov.
- View DescriptionEssentials (formerly National consumer study)
This resource provides data from the National Consumer Study, a survey of U.S. adults (18 and older), covering demographics, attitudes, lifestyle behavior, consumer behavior and intentions, brand preferences, and media consumption. Users must create their own cross-tabulations; step-by-step instructions are available at https://researchguides.uvm.edu/NationalConsumerStudy.
- View DescriptionEthnic diversity source
This database provides resources about the culture, traditions, social treatment and lived experiences of different ethnic groups in America. It provides full text from a growing list of sources including peer-reviewed journals, magazines, newspapers, e-books, biographies and primary source documents.
- View DescriptionEthnic NewsWatch
This resource gives you access to a unique collection of primarily ethnic newspapers, magazines and journals published in the United States and beyond. Represented ethnic groups include: African American/Caribbean/African; Arab/Middle Eastern; Asian/Pacific Islander; European/Eastern European; Hispanic; Jewish; Multi-Ethnic; and Native People.
- View DescriptionEthnographic video online
This resource provides access to a collection of ethnographic films with broad geographical and cultural coverage. It includes some of the most seminal ethnographic films ever produced, and includes interviews, previously unreleased raw footage, field notes, study guides, and more.
- View DescriptionEuropa world plus
This up-to-date reference source provides country background and statistical information for every country in the world, including information about country history, economy, and politics. This is an online version of Europa World Year Book and nine Regional Surveys of the World.
- Europe, 1450 to 1789
- Expanded academic ASAP (see Gale academic OneFile Select)
- View DescriptionGale academic OneFile Select (formerly Expanded academic ASAP)
This resource is an excellent multidisciplinary index to both scholarly and general-interest publications. Its streamlined search interface provides results that include full bibliographic data, abstracts, and very often the full text of a resource. You can gather both background information and extensive research on topics in the arts, humanities, sciences, and technology. Use the innovative Topic Finder to visualize new connections you had not thought of. Results are arranged either in groups of concept tiles or organized on a wheel.
- View DescriptionGale business: entrepreneurship (formerly Small business resource center)
This resource provides information about starting, financing, and managing a small business, including journal and news articles, reference books, and sample business plans.
- View DescriptionGale business: insights (formerly Business Insights: essentials)
This resource includes industry surveys; domestic and international company profiles and financial statements; SWOT analyses; excerpts from reference books; and citations and full-text articles from scholarly and popular business literature and newspapers. (Previous title: Business Insights: Essentials.)
- View DescriptionGale ebooks (formerly Gale virtual reference library)
This resource is a collection of encyclopedias, dictionaries and guide-books in e-book format, covering a multidisciplinary range of subjects. It is possible to search individual titles or the entire collection.
- Gale encyclopedia of alternative medicine
- Gale encyclopedia of American law
- Gale encyclopedia of children's health
- Gale encyclopedia of medicine
- Gale encyclopedia of multicultural America
- Gale encyclopedia of psychology
- Gale encyclopedia of U.S. economic history
- View DescriptionGale in context: middle school (formerly Research in context)
This multidisciplinary database, designed for students in middle grades, provides access to journals, magazines, and newspapers with full-text articles.
- View DescriptionGale OneFile: News (formerly InfoTrac newsstand)
This resource is a collection of articles from a wide range of newspapers, including major U.S. dailies and British and Mexican publications. Most articles are full-text and there are tools for exporting, sharing, and translating articles.
- Gale virtual reference library (see Gale eBooks)
- View DescriptionGender studies database
This resource provides information about research materials on all topics relating to gender, sexuality, and women’s studies. It includes information about articles from scholarly and popular journals, newsletters, chapter from books, and government reports.
- View DescriptionGenderWatch
This resource provides access to articles on all topics relating to gender, sexuality, and women's studies. It includes articles from scholarly and popular journals, newsletters, and government reports. Most articles are available as full-text.
- View DescriptionGeneral OneFile
This resource contains newspapers, journals, and other general-interest media sources, including the New York Times and NPR transcripts.
- View DescriptionGeneral reference center gold
This resource offers access to full-text articles from general-interest sources, including newspapers, magazines, encyclopedias and dictionaries.
- View DescriptionGEOBASE
This resource covers the fields of physical and cultural geography, earth sciences, ecology and natural resources, as well as international development-related topics. Coverage includes scholarly journal literature, magazine articles, product reviews, directories, conference proceedings, and reports. It includes bibliographic citations with abstracts and links to full-text articles.
- View DescriptionGeoRef
This resource provides access to the geoscience literature of the world, including coverage of scholarly journal literature, books, maps, government reports, conference papers, theses, and dissertations. It includes bibliographic citations with abstracts, and links to full-text articles.
- View DescriptionGeoScienceWorld
This database, developed by the American Geological Institute and the Geological Society of America, disseminates full-text international scholarly literature in the earth sciences.
- View DescriptionGlobal health
This resource broadly covers international and community-level scholarly literature in public health, including rural development and health policy. Content includes journal articles, books, book chapters, conference proceedings, newsletters, reports, and gray literature.
- Global plants
- View DescriptionGodey's lady's book
This resource provides full access to Godey’s Lady’s Book (1830-1898), one of the most influential U.S. women's magazines of that era. Alongside articles concerning all aspects of the domestic sphere, the magazine includes patterns for handcrafts, color plates of the latest fashions, literary works, song lyrics, and sheet music.
- View DescriptionGoogle scholar
This resource provides access to scholarly literature including articles, theses, books, abstracts, court opinions, technical reports, patents and many other document types. Google Scholar's coverage is extremely broad and sometimes more up-to-date than other databases - but its non-selective coverage may include lower-quality publications.
- View DescriptionGreenFILE
This resource covers broad environmental literature, including scholarly journal articles, magazine articles, and some government reports. It includes some full text as well as links to full text.
- Green's dictionary of slang
- View DescriptionGrove art online
This resource is the online version of the Grove Dictionary of Art, the standard encyclopedia for Art History. It contains thousands of in-depth entries, including recommendations for further reading. Search or explore by time period, type of work, or location. This resource is also useful for locating biographical information and images.
- View DescriptionGrzimek's animal life encyclopedia (2nd edition, 17 volumes)
Based on the 17-volume print encyclopedia, this resource features information on more than 4,000 species, presented with more than 12,000 photos, maps, videos, audio clips, and interactive tools. Articles written by scientists and subject experts are peer reviewed and selected by an expert editorial board. Entries can be translated to many languages and text-to-speech.
- View DescriptionGrzimek's animal life encyclopedia. Evolution
This resource features encyclopedia entries focused on evolution, supported by subject specialists and peer-reviewed by an editor and editorial board comprising of evolution experts. This is a supplement to Grzimek’s Animal Life Encyclopedia (2003), and compliments a companion volume, Extinction (2013).
- View DescriptionGrzimek's animal life encyclopedia. Extinction
This resource features more than 80 topically arranged, comprehensive articles, focusing on extinction. Suggestions for further reading, lists of scientific organizations & contact information are included. This is a supplement to Grzimek’s Animal Life Encyclopedia (2003), and compliments a companion volume, Evolution (2011).
- View DescriptionGuardian (ProQuest historical newspapers, Manchester, 1821-2003)
This database provides digital access to the British newspapers the Guardian (1821-2003) and the Observer (1791-2003).
- View Descriptioni2i (formerly Standards infobase)
This resource provides access to technical standards for manufacturing and testing. It covers major national and international standards agencies, including ASTM, IEEE, NISO and SAE. UVM affiliates may look up and request copies of standards, which will be provided subject to library authorization.
- View DescriptionIBISWorld
This resource contains research reports for U.S. industries, specialized (small or new) U.S. industries, and global industries. It also includes shorter reports on consumer behavior, demographics, and economic indicators, as well as an archive of previous U.S. industry reports dating back to 2001.
- View DescriptionICPSR (Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research)
This resource has data holdings that encompass a range of academic disciplines, including political science, sociology, demography, history, economics, international relations, gerontology, public health, criminal justice, and education. Data collections consist of raw data files and code-books. Data sets can be downloaded directly to a user's computer for use with statistical software.
- IEEE standards dictionary online
- View DescriptionIEEE Xplore digital library
This resource has wide-ranging coverage of scholarly research on electrical and computer engineering, including the full text of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) journal articles, conference papers, and standards. It is also an index of IEEE magazine articles and book chapters.
- View DescriptionIndex Islamicus
This is an index to scholarly works on all aspects of Islam and the Muslim world. It covers Islamic beliefs, culture, history, societies, language and literature. It contains citations to articles in journals, books and book chapters, some with links to full-text articles.
- Index of medieval art
- View DescriptionIndex to Jewish periodicals
This resource is an index to English-language scholarly and substantive works on Jewish history, culture and thought - including contemporary Jewish and Middle Eastern affairs.
- Indo-European etymological dictionaries online
- View DescriptionIndustrial and applied microbiology abstracts (Microbiology A)
This resource contains journal literature in agricultural, food and beverage, chemical, and pharmaceutical microbiology, including topics such as fermentation, plant diseases, microbial toxins, soil microorganisms, and more. It indexes journals, as well as government reports, books, and conference proceedings. It is now part of the Agricultural & Environmental Science Database.
- InfoTrac newsstand (see Gale OneFile: News)
- View DescriptionIngentaConnect
This database contains thousands of academic and research articles, mostly in STEM disciplines, with some full-text availability.
- View DescriptionINSPEC
This resource covers international literature in the fields of electrical engineering, physics, and computer science. It provides citations to journal articles, conference papers, technical reports, book reports and dissertations.
- Institute of Physics journals
- View DescriptionInternational bibliography of theatre & dance
This resource is a major international index to works on theatre, dance, and other performing arts. It contains citations to journal articles, books, book chapters, reviews, and dissertations. Many citations have links to full-text articles.
- International businesses (see D & B Hoovers)
- International consumer markets 2018-2019
- International dictionary of films and filmmakers
- International encyclopedia of dance
- International encyclopedia of education
- International encyclopedia of the social & behavioral sciences
- International encyclopedia of the social sciences
- International encyclopedia of the social sciences (2nd ed., 2008)
- View DescriptionInternational medieval bibliography
This resource is an index of citations to articles on Medieval history and culture in Europe, the Middle East and North Africa from 300 to 1500. It includes information about articles published worldwide.
- View DescriptionInternational political science abstracts
This resource provides citations and abstracts for scholarly journal articles in political science and related fields, published internationally.
- View DescriptionIter bibliography
This resource is a multidisciplinary index to journal articles, books, essays in books, book reviews, and dissertations pertaining to all aspects of the Middle Ages (the medieval period) and Renaissance (400-1700).
- View DescriptionL'Année philologique
This resource is useful for locating scholarly works relating to Antiquity, including Late Antiquity. It contains citations and abstracts to journal articles, conference papers, books, book reviews, and related research in ancient Greek and Latin language, culture, history, literature, religion/mythology, and philosophy, including material about the early Christian church.
- View DescriptionLatin America digital beat
This resource, created by the University of New Mexico, provides access to news resources about Latin America in English. It is an archival resource of over 28,000 articles with coverage through April 2018.
- Latin American history
- View DescriptionLaw Library of Congress Reports
This resource contains more than 3,500 full-text reports on foreign, comparative, and international law, crafted by specialists at the Law Library of Congress. Covers a vast range of subject areas such as abortion, immigration, jury systems, divorce, environmental law, and labor law.
- View DescriptionLecture notes in mathematics (1964-2017)
This resource provides online access to the full text of Lecture Notes in Mathematics from the first volume (1964) to 2017. This series covers new developments in all fields of mathematics, predominantly in the form of research monographs and lectures.
- View DescriptionLegalTrac
This resource provides indexing for a wide variety of legal journals, as well as full text for some publications. It includes U.S. and international journals, as well as a "Topic Finder" tool.
- LexisNexis academic (see Nexis Uni)
- View DescriptionLGBT studies in video
This streaming video service provides access to documentaries, interviews, archival footage, and select feature films exploring LGBTQA issues.
- View DescriptionLGBTQ+ source
This collection provides full-text access to current and historically significant Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) journals, magazines, regional newspapers, and a selection of full text e-books.
- View DescriptionLibrary, information science & technology abstracts
This resource provides citations, abstracts, and some full-text articles from journals (including peer-reviewed) in library science. It also contains citations and abstracts of books, book chapters, book reviews, research reports, case studies, and conference proceedings.
- View DescriptionLibrary literature & information science full text
This resource contains citations and some full-text articles (including peer-reviewed) from journals and magazines including key library and information-science periodicals, as well as citations for books, conference papers, book reviews, and book chapters.
- Library of Congress digital collections (formerly American memory)
- View DescriptionLibrary of Latin texts (Cross Database Searchtool)
This resource is a major database of full-text Latin texts from ancient times (Livius Andronicus, 240 B.C.) through to the Second Vatican Council (1962-1965). It draws from more than 3,000 works that are attributed to about 950 authors.
- View DescriptionLILACS (Latin American & Caribbean Health Sciences Literature)
This comprehensive database of Latin American and Caribbean health sciences has more than 880 thousand records of peer reviewed journals, thesis and dissertations, government documents, annals of congresses and books published since 1982. It includes systematic reviews, randomized controlled clinical trials, evidence synthesis, health technology evaluation studies, economic evaluation studies, clinical practice guidelines, technical reports, case reports and others.
- View DescriptionLinguistics and language behavior abstracts (LLBA)
Use LLBA to find scholarly articles in peer-reviewed journals, book chapters, books and dissertations in linguistics, communication sciences, speech, hearing and language studies.
- View DescriptionLippincott nursing books@Ovid
This collection of e-books contains numerous popular nursing titles, including the Lippincott Manual of Nursing Practice, Lippincott‚Äôs Nursing Drug Guide, Professional Guide to Signs & Symptoms, Manual of Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests, and many others.
- View DescriptionLiterary encyclopedia
This peer-reviewed online encyclopedia provides authoritative background and short criticism on world literature and cultural history. The work includes authored essays, chronologies, critical bibliographies, and more. It is continuously updated.
- View DescriptionLiterary research guide
This is the open-access version of the Literary Research Guide, 6th ed. by James L. Harner (Modern Language Association, 2014). It is a selective, annotated guide to reference sources essential to the study of British literature, literatures of the United States, other literatures in English, and related topics, including film and literature.
- View DescriptionLiterature criticism
This resource is a searchable database of full-length or excerpted criticism of works in all literary genres and biographical information about significant writers and filmmakers worldwide from all eras. It presents a range of modern and historical views on writers and their works. This is the main interface for cross-searching seven Gale literary resources.
- View DescriptionLiterature resource center
This database contains biographical profiles of significant writers worldwide from all eras and literary genres. It also includes full-length or excerpted literary criticism articles and book reviews from scholarly journals and magazines, book chapters, and reference books. It also includes overviews of literary topics and work overviews (plots, themes, characters).
- View DescriptionLLMC digital
This resource includes U.S. federal, state, and territories government documents, laws, case reporters, legal periodicals and treatises. It also includes foreign government, multi-jurisdictional, and international law documents; canon law, Native American law, and legal philosophy.
- View DescriptionLoeb classical library
This resource provides full-text of over 500 volumes of original ancient Greek and Latin texts (from 800 B.C. to A.D. 1000) alongside their modern English translations. Works include poetry; tragedy and comedy; history, travel, philosophy, and oratory; medical writers and mathematicians; and those Church fathers who made particular use of pagan culture. An integrated Greek keyboard aids in searching the Greek texts.
- Los Angeles times (Current content, 1985-present)
- View DescriptionLos Angeles times (ProQuest historical newspapers, 1881-1995)
This resource provides historical access to the Los Angeles Times (1881-1997). Materials are in PDF format and include illustrations, advertisements, and photographs.
- View DescriptionMasterplots
This resource contains full-text summaries and critical evaluations of selected books, plays, stories, and poems in literature worldwide from all eras.
- View DescriptionMathSciNet
This resource is one of the leading indexes for publications covering all fields of mathematics, including research articles, review articles, conference papers, theses, and books. Many records provide an abstract, a peer review, and a link to full text. Records may also provide citation data.
- View DescriptionMedlinePlus
This database is a free online resource from the U.S. National Library of Medicine that provides high-quality, authoritative health information for the consumer. It includes a medical encyclopedia, with articles, images, and videos; health topic pages with carefully selected links and references to the medical literature; drug and supplement information; and much more.
- View DescriptionMental measurements yearbook with Tests in print
This resource includes standardized English-language tests and measurements used in education, early childhood development, reading, speech and hearing, psychology, and related fields. It contains descriptions, professional reviews, and pricing information for the tests, but due to copyright limitations, does not provide the actual test instruments.
- View DescriptionMerative micromedex
This resource is a collection of drug and toxicology databases, including Martindale, Material Safety Data Sheets, Physician's Desk Reference (PDR), POISONDEX, and others. Together, these provide comprehensive information about drugs, diseases, and toxicology, as well as drug interactions, IV compatibility, laboratory tests, product lookups, dosing calculators, and CareNotes for patient education.
- View DescriptionMergent archives
This resource provides access to industry reports, historical annual reports back to the mid 1800s, corporate histories and financial statements back to the early 1900s, and information about municipal securities issued by each U.S. state, Puerto Rico, and Guam. Content from Mergent manuals (formerly Moody's manuals).
- View DescriptionMergent bondviewer
This resource provides information about more than 320,000 U.S. taxable securities and 3 million municipal bonds, with up to 20 years of historical bond ratings from Moody's, Standard and Poor's, and Fitch.
- View DescriptionMergent intellect
This resource provides detailed information about millions of public and private companies in the United States and around the world. It also provides access to industry reports, Key Business Ratios (formerly published as Industry Norms and Key Business Ratios) and contact information for 210 million U.S. consumers.
- View DescriptionMergent online
This resource contains information on U.S. public companies (active and inactive) and non-U.S. companies (active and inactive). It also includes country information, global industry reports, historical stock prices, and equity research reports.
- Middle Ages
- View DescriptionMiddle English compendium
This resource provides access to and interconnectivity between the Middle English Dictionary (C.E. 1100-1500), Bibliography of Middle English (all the Middle English materials and editions cited in the Middle English Dictionary), and the Corpus of Middle English Prose and Verse (full-text digitized collection of Middle English texts in the public domain).
- MLA directory of periodicals
- View DescriptionMLA international bibliography
This is a comprehensive index for research works on world literatures, literary theory, linguistics, rhetoric and composition, folklore, and the dramatic arts. It contains citations (some with links to full text) to articles in scholarly journals and magazines, books, book chapters, and dissertations.
- View DescriptionMometrix eLibrary
This resource provides ebook study guides and practice questions for Praxis Core, and all Praxis II tests required by the State of Vermont's Testing Requirements for Educator Licensure. It also provides a limited number of ebooks for licensure testing in Massachusetts as well as support for GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT, and SAT tests.
- View DescriptionMonthly catalog of U.S. government publications, 1895-1976
This is a comprehensive index to historical publications of the United States federal government on all subjects from January 1895 through June 1976. Many of the documents described can be located in the Government Information collection on the Ground Floor of the Howe Library.
- View DescriptionMorningstar investment research center
This resource enables users to screen for and get information about stocks, mutual funds, exchange traded funds, and closed-end funds. It also provides information about various investment indexes and the full text of Morningstar publications.
- View DescriptionMusic online : American music
This resource has recordings of music from every period of American history, reflecting the diversity of America's musical life. Traditional and popular genres are included, as well as spoken word and film music.
- View DescriptionMusic online : Classical music library
This resource brings orchestral, chamber, choral and theatrical music to your computer. It has audio tracks that cover the full range of Western music: plainchant, cantatas by Bach, piano concertos by Brahms, symphonies, and more. Each entry has complete information about the composition, composer, performers, and the recording. Users who create a personal account can create playlists and for a fee download selected tracks.
- Music online : Contemporary world music
- View DescriptionMusic online : Jazz music library
This resource is "the largest and most comprehensive collection of streaming jazz available online — with thousands of jazz artists, ensembles, albums, and genres" (Alexander Street Press).
- View DescriptionMusic online : Popular music library
This resource is a collection of thousands for recordings of popular music from around the world, including pop, rock, alternative, new age, hip hop, holiday (e.g. Christmas) and more.
- View DescriptionMusic online : Smithsonian global sound for libraries
This audio resource, produced in partnership with Smithsonian Folkways, offers listeners access to a wide variety of recorded music and spoken word, including folk songs and world music, poetry, historic events, lectures and language instruction, and music for dance.
- View DescriptionNational Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) Working Papers
This resource provides access to working papers presenting new research by National Bureau of Economic Research affiliates. Papers have not been peer reviewed.
- National consumer study (see Essentials)
- View DescriptionNational geographic virtual library
This resource contains cover-to-cover, full text of National Geographic since 1888, including articles and advertisements.
- View DescriptionNatural medicines
This resource is an evidence-based, full-text resource for information about natural medicines and complementary therapies. Detailed monographs are provided for hundreds of foods, herbs, and dietary supplements, including information about their safety and effectiveness, dosing and administration, adverse effects, interactions, and references.
- New Cambridge history of American foreign relations
- New Cambridge history of Islam
- New Cambridge history of the Bible
- New dictionary of the history of ideas
- New Orleans times-picayune (1837-1988)
- View DescriptionNew York Amsterdam news (ProQuest historical newspapers, 1922-1993)
This resource provides full-page reproductions of one of the nation's leading Black newspapers. The New York Amsterdam News documented the Harlem Renaissance in the 1920s, desegregation of the U.S. military in World War II, and the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s. It also provides local, national, and international news coverage.
- View DescriptionNew York times (all digital access)
UVM affiliates may use this link to access the registration page for UVM's institutional subscription to the New York Times
website. This subscription provides access to news, opinion, the book review, the magazine, Cooking, and more but excludes premium content such as the crossword. You must use your UVM email address to create an account and then go to nytimes.com
and login to start reading. (This account will need to be reactivated via a library link periodically). Contact Ask a Librarian
for help or more information.
- View DescriptionNew York times, late edition (East Coast)
This database provides comprehensive, full-text access to the New York Times, late edition (East Coast) (June 1980-present).
- View DescriptionNew York times, late edition (East Coast) (ProQuest recent newspapers)
This resource provides full-text articles published in The New York Times from Jan. 1, 2008, up to one month ago. Page-view images show the entire newspaper page including images and advertisements. Content can be searched by keyword or browsed by date. Coverage is cover-to-cover (including Book Review and Magazine sections), except that some articles by freelancers may not be included.
- View DescriptionNew York times (Proquest historical newspapers, 1851-rolling end date)
This database provides historical access to the New York Times (1851-2018). The paper is fully digitized in PDF format and includes news articles, editorials, cartoons, advertisements, and more.
- View DescriptionNexis Uni (formerly LexisNexis Academic)
This full-text resource contains articles from national/regional/international newspapers, magazines, journals, law reviews, and wire services; broadcast transcripts; U.S. federal and state case law, codes, and regulations; company financial reports; patents; and SEC filings.
- View DescriptionNineteenth century British newspapers (1800-1913)
This database provides access to national and regional newspapers representing different political and cultural segments of British society during the long 19th century.
- View DescriptionNineteenth century collections online
This resource includes a wide variety of primary source materials from 1780-1925 on topics ranging from popular culture, colonialism, literature, religion, science, politics, and women.
- View DescriptionNineteenth-century literature criticism
Part of Gale's Literature Criticism series, this resource is a searchable database of full-length or excerpted criticism of works in all literary genres and biographical information about significant writers worldwide who died between 1800-1899. It presents a range of modern and historical views on writers and their works.
- View DescriptionObserver (ProQuest historical newspapers, London, 1791-2003)
This database provides access to British newspapers the Guardian (1821-2003) and the Observer (1791-2003).
- View DescriptionOECD iLibrary
This source provides access to Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) statistics, articles, and books related to economics and economic development.
- OneSource (see D & B Hoovers)
- View DescriptionOpposing viewpoints
This resource provides pro and con viewpoints and information on complex social issues, drawing from reference materials, commentaries, academic journals, magazines, newspapers, and primary sources. It contains full-text articles and reports, statistics, images, and video and audio files.
- View DescriptionO'Reilly for higher education
This resource provides access to video tutorials and recently published ebooks on technology, programming, engineering, and mathematics, including O'Reilly manuals. UVM affiliates will be prompted to log in with a NetID to access a personal account. Anonymized access to this resource is available at the Howe Library; contact the Reference Desk for more information.
- View DescriptionOrganic reactions
This resource selectively offers over 200,000 of the most important and useful synthetic reactions; reviewed & refined by chemists. Features critical detailed discussions of mechanism, scope, and limitations of reactions. Contains tabular survey of all known examples of organic reactions to date, as well as safety and procedural guidance.
- View DescriptionOverDrive
This resource includes fiction and non-fiction e-books and audiobooks. Listen to audiobooks with the Libby app and read e-books on a computer, the Libby app, or the Kindle Reader. New titles are regularly being added to UVM's Overdrive Collection.
- View DescriptionOvid MEDLINE
This resource is used to find scholarly and evidence-based articles from journals in medicine, including nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, and health care administration, plus allied health fields and biosciences.
- View DescriptionOxford African American studies center
This resource is a portal to full-text scholarly sources (biographies, encyclopedias, companions, primary sources), images and maps about African Americans, African American life and culture, and Africa and the diaspora.
- View DescriptionOxford art online
This resource comprises the full text of the Grove Dictionary of Art and a number of other reference works published by Oxford University Press, including the Oxford Companion to Western Art.
- View DescriptionOxford bibliographies. American literature
This resource is an authoritative guide to the current scholarship (in all formats) on American literature from the last 500 years, with original introductory and commentary text followed by an annotated list of cited works.
- View DescriptionOxford bibliographies. British and Irish literature
This resource is an authoritative guide to the current scholarship (in all formats) on British and Irish literature from the early and medieval period to the present, with original introductory and commentary text followed by an annotated list of cited works.
- View DescriptionOxford classical dictionary
This resource is an authoritative scholarly classics dictionary whose articles cover people, places and events in all facets of the classical world in the humanities, social sciences, and sciences. The digital version is dynamic, with new and continuously updated articles. Includes additional content such as Maps of the Ancient World, images, and links to related websites. Includes a key to Abbreviations used in the OCD, now standard in the field of Classics.
- Oxford companion to American law
- Oxford companion to American literature
- Oxford companion to American military history
- Oxford Companion to American Theatre
- Oxford companion to archaeology
- Oxford companion to Australian history
- Oxford companion to British history
- Oxford companion to Canadian history
- Oxford companion to Chaucer
- Oxford companion to children's literature
- Oxford companion to classical civilization
- Oxford companion to classical literature
- Oxford companion to crime and mystery writing
- Oxford companion to English literature
- Oxford companion to fairy tales
- Oxford companion to food
- Oxford companion to military history
- Oxford Companion to Modern Poetry
- Oxford companion to music
- Oxford companion to philosophy
- Oxford companion to politics of the world
- Oxford companion to Shakespeare
- Oxford companion to the American musical
- Oxford companion to the Bible
- Oxford Companion to the Earth
- Oxford companion to the mind
- Oxford companion to the photograph
- Oxford companion to the romantic age
- Oxford companion to the Supreme Court of the United States
- Oxford companion to twentieth-century literature in English
- Oxford companion to United States history
- Oxford companion to Western art
- Oxford companion to world mythology
- Oxford dictionary of architecture
- Oxford dictionary of art
- Oxford dictionary of dance
- Oxford dictionary of Islam
- Oxford dictionary of late Antiquity
- Oxford dictionary of literary terms
- Oxford dictionary of music
- View DescriptionOxford dictionary of national biography
This resource provides biographical information about significant figures in British history.
- Oxford dictionary of original Shakespearean pronunciation
- Oxford dictionary of philosophy
- Oxford dictionary of phrase and fable
- Oxford dictionary of plays
- Oxford dictionary of reference and allusion
- Oxford dictionary of saints
- Oxford dictionary of science fiction
- Oxford dictionary of the classical world
- Oxford dictionary of the Renaissance
- Oxford encyclopedia of American literature
- Oxford encyclopedia of American military and diplomatic history
- Oxford encyclopedia of ancient Egypt
- Oxford encyclopedia of British literature
- Oxford encyclopedia of children's literature
- Oxford encyclopedia of economic history
- Oxford encyclopedia of food and drink in America
- Oxford encyclopedia of the Bible and gender studies
- Oxford encyclopedia of theatre and performance
- View DescriptionOxford English dictionary
This resource is the definitive guide to the meaning, history, and pronunciation of over half a million words, tracing the usage of words from across the English-speaking world through quotations from international English language sources. It is not exhaustive in its coverage of standard vocabulary and is limited in its treatment of slang, dialect, scientific, and technical terms, so other dictionaries should be used as well.
- Oxford guide to literary Britain and Ireland
- Oxford guide to people & places of the Bible
- View DescriptionOxford handbooks online
This resource is a multidisciplinary collection of books that provide scholarly surveys of original research in a particular subject area. Essays from scholars in the discipline give critical examinations of the progress and direction of debates, as well as a foundation for future research. When viewing the list of search results, check the box next to “Unlocked” (green padlock) in the left sidebar to limit results to content provided by UVM.
- Oxford music online
- View DescriptionOxford reference
This resource provides access to an extensive set of dictionaries and encyclopedias from Oxford University Press, spanning a variety of different subject areas.
- View DescriptionPAIS index
This index provides access to journal articles, books, government documents, statistics, gray literature, and conference reports for international public and social policy.
- View DescriptionPatrologia Graeca
This resource provides access to the full text of Jacques-Paul Migne's Patrologia Graeca and indexes, which is an edited collection of writings by the Christian Church Fathers and various secular writers, published in Greek with Latin translations. The content covers the history of the Christian Church from its beginnings through the Council of Florence in 1439.
- View DescriptionPatrologia Latina database
This resource is the electronic version of Jacques-Paul Migne's Patrologia Latina and indexes. It comprises the works of the Church Fathers (e.g., patristic works) from Tertullian (A.D. 200) to the death of Pope Innocent III (A.D.1216).
- View DescriptionPerforming arts periodicals database
This resource is an international index to magazines, scholarly and trade journals pertaining to the performing arts, and extending to stagecraft, circus performance, opera, pantomime, puppetry, performance art, comedy, storytelling, and magic. It contains citations to articles, book reviews, performance reviews, obituaries, and biographical profiles.
- View DescriptionPerkins Digital Library
This resource, created by the University of Vermont, provides digitized images of rocks, minerals, fossils, and thin sections from the Perkins Geology Museum collection.
- View DescriptionPhilosopher's index
This database contains abstracts covering journal articles, books, book chapters, and book reviews in all areas of philosophy.
- View DescriptionPhilPapers
This resource is a directory and search engine for articles and books in the field of philosophy. A community of philosophers contributes editorship and the database is affiliated with the Centre for Digital Philosophy.
- View DescriptionPicture post historical archive (1938-1957)
This resource provides complete access to The Picture Post (1938-1957), a photojournalistic magazine from the United Kingdom.
- Pocket Oxford American thesaurus
- Pocket Oxford-Hachette French dictionary : English-French
- Pocket Oxford-Hachette French dictionary : French-English
- Pocket Oxford Italian dictionary : English-Italian
- Pocket Oxford Italian dictionary : Italian-English
- Pocket Oxford Latin dictionary : English-Latin
- Pocket Oxford Latin dictionary : Latin-English
- Pocket Oxford Spanish dictionary
- Pocket Oxford Spanish dictionary : Spanish-English
- View DescriptionPoetry criticism
Part of Gale Literature Criticism, this resource is a database of full-length or excerpted criticism of poetry and biographical information about significant poets worldwide from all eras. It presents a range of modern and historical views on poets and their works.
- View DescriptionPolicyMap
This online data and mapping application gives access to indicators about U.S. communities and markets covering demographics, employment and socioeconomic indicators, housing, crime, health, and more, at multiple geographic levels. Users can access data in interactive maps, tables, charts, and reports.
- View DescriptionProject Gutenberg
This resource is a collection of free digitized books that are either in the public domain or have the approval of the copyright holder.
- View DescriptionProject Muse
This resource is a searchable multidisciplinary full-text database of scholarly journals primarily in the arts, humanities, and social sciences. It also provides citations to books provided by Project Muse in digital format.
- View DescriptionProQuest Central
This multidisciplinary database provides access to a variety of resources including scholarly journals, international newspapers, business information and dissertations.
- View DescriptionProQuest congressional
This resource provides access to the full text and indexing for most congressional hearings, the Serial Set (House and Senate reports and documents), committee prints, the Congressional Record, and congressional bills (1789 to present).
- View DescriptionProQuest dissertations & theses A & I
This resource is a database of international scholarly research as presented in theses and dissertations from institutions of higher education.
- View DescriptionProQuest health management
This resource covers health administration topics including public health administration, health economics, hospitals, health insurance, management and ethics in healthcare. Content includes journals, dissertations and theses. Search by keyword or subject heading. Results include citations, abstracts and some full-text.
- View DescriptionProQuest newsstream
This resource offers access to the full text of local, regional, and national newspapers in the US and throughout the world.
- ProQuest statistical insight
- View DescriptionPsycARTICLES
This resource indexes a limited selection of scholarly articles in peer-reviewed journals published by the American Psychological Association, Canadian Psychological Association, and Hogrefe Publishing. For more comprehensive searching, PsycINFO is preferred.
- View DescriptionPsychological experiments online
This multimedia collection synthesizes important psychological experiments of the 20th and 21st centuries. It includes original videos, photos, documents, notes and other primary materials.
- View DescriptionPsycInfo
This resource contains international scholarly articles in peer-reviewed journals, book chapters, books and dissertations in psychology, education, and the social, behavioral and health sciences. PsycINFO is the most comprehensive database for literature in the psychological sciences.
- View DescriptionPsycTESTS
Published by the APA, this resource provides information on thousands of psychological, behavioral, and achievement instruments. Measures, tests and scales are included, and in some cases, the actual instrument can be viewed and downloaded.
- Sage encyclopedia of LGBTQ studies
- Sage international encyclopedia of travel and tourism
- Sage journals online
- View DescriptionSAGE research methods
This resource provides learning materials for quantitative, qualitative, and mixed methods research. It includes e-books such as SAGE's "Little Green" and "Little Blue" books, case studies, videos, and other types of information on different research methodologies.
- View DescriptionSalem press
This resource is a collection of ebooks on literature, history, and the environment published by Salem Press at Grey House Publishing.
- Science and its times
- View DescriptionScienceDirect
This resource covers journal literature and e-books from Elsevier in the sciences, social sciences, health sciences, and humanities.
NOTE: In December 2020, UVM Libraries cancelled this subscription. Materials that we purchased through 2020 and selected open access materials can still be accessed through this database. Many additional items can be identified through this tool and, if unavailable via ScienceDirect, can be obtained for UVM affiliates at no charge through our Interlibrary Loan Service (ILL) by clicking on the "Find it at UVM" links within ScienceDirect.
- View DescriptionSciFinder-n
This database produced by Chemical Abstracts Services, provides comprehensive coverage of chemical information, including chemical substances, references, reactions, chemical supplier, and regulated chemicals. Scholarly content includes journals, patents, books, theses, and conference proceedings.
- View DescriptionScitation
This database provides users access to the core journal literature, reports, and conference proceedings in the field of physics, as well as related disciplines of chemistry, geosciences, and engineering.
- View DescriptionSeventeenth-eighteenth century Burney collection newspapers (1604-1804)
This resource provides access to scanned images of newspapers, broadsides, and pamphlets published in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries.
- SHAFR guide online
- View DescriptionShort story criticism
Part of Gale's Literature Criticism, this resource is a searchable database of full-length or excerpted criticism of short fiction and biographical information about significant writers of short fiction worldwide from all eras. It presents a range of modern and historical views on short fiction writers and their works.
- Small business resource center (see Gale business: entrepreneurship)
- View DescriptionSocial explorer
This resource can be used to explore both historical and contemporary U.S. Census data in report form or visually on a map, allowing for comparison of information from different censuses or geographic areas.
- View DescriptionSocial sciences full text
This resource provides access to scholarly and professional literature in a wide range of social science areas, including anthropology, communications and mass media, economics, gender studies, international relations, public administration, political science, psychology, social work, and sociology.
- View DescriptionSocial services abstracts
This resource provides access to scholarly articles, journals, book reviews, and dissertations in social work, human services, social welfare, social policy, and community development.
- View DescriptionSociological abstracts
This resource provides access to the international literature of sociology and related disciplines in the social and behavioral sciences. It includes references to scholarly journal articles and periodicals, books, book chapters, dissertations, conference papers, and working papers, with some full text and links to full text.
- Something about the author
- SPORTDiscus with full text
- View DescriptionSpringer journals
This publisher platform provides full-text access to articles, journals, chapters, books, and reference works in the sciences and social sciences.
- Springfield republican (1877-1946)
- Springfield union (1947-1987)
- View DescriptionSRDS
This resource provides current information about consumer magazines, business publications, newspapers, and radio stations and can be used to find target audience, format, circulation and reach, advertising prices, and advertising deadlines.
- St. James encyclopedia of popular culture
- Standards infobase (see i2i)
- Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy
- View DescriptionStatesman's yearbook
This resource covers the government, politics, history, culture, economics, foreign relations, population, climate, social institutions, and natural resources for all countries in the world. UVM has access to 2020 and earlier online. Check CATQuest or the Libraries Catalog for information on print copies of 2021 and later editions.
- View DescriptionStatistical abstract of the U.S.
This resource provides access to comprehensive summary statistics on the social, political, and economic conditions of the United States.
- View DescriptionSunday times digital archive (London, 1822-2006)
This resource provides access to the Sunday Times of London (1822-2006).
- View DescriptionSustainability (JSTOR)
This resource, the first of JSTOR’s thematic collections, provides full text access to broadly interdisciplinary academic and open policy research on environmental sustainability and includes a wide range of journals, ebooks, and open access research reports.
- Swank digital campus
- View DescriptionWall Street journal, Eastern edition (East Coast)
This resource provides full-text articles published in the Wall Street Journal from 1984 to the present. Page-view images show the entire newspaper page including images and advertisements. Content can be searched by keyword or browsed by date. Coverage is cover-to-cover, except that some articles by freelancers may not be included.
- Wall Street journal, Eastern edition (ProQuest recent newspapers)
- View DescriptionWall Street journal (ProQuest historical newspapers, 1889-rolling end date)
This database provides access to the Wall Street Journal (1889-2010), a leading source of business news. The paper is in PDF format and includes accompanying illustrations, advertisements, and photographs.
- Washington post, final edition (ProQuest recent newspapers)
- View DescriptionWashington post (ProQuest historical newspapers, 1877-rolling end date)
This database provides access to the Washington Post (1877-2006), a leading source for news on foreign events and policy. The paper is in PDF format and includes accompanying illustrations, advertisements, and photographs.
- View DescriptionWeb of science
This resource provides access to the scholarly literature across disciplines, and includes citations to journal articles, conference proceedings, books, and more. It includes a cited reference search feature that enables users to trace the impact of individual scholars' work, analyzes search results by discipline, and creates citation reports of a set of search results.
- View DescriptionWestlaw
This database helps locate legal materials, including law review articles, court decisions, statutes, and the American Jurisprudence legal encyclopedia. This resource also includes full-text news and business articles and company information.
- Who's who in the classical world
- Who's who in the twentieth century
- View DescriptionWildlife & ecology studies worldwide
This resource provides references to journal articles, books, conference papers and proceedings, government documents, and other hard-to-find literature on all wildlife-related topics. It includes abstracts with some links to full text.
- Wiley digital archives
- View DescriptionWiley online library
This resource is a collection of peer-reviewed, scholarly journals covering a broad range of academic disciplines. Some e-book titles are available as well, which can be recommended for purchase.
- View DescriptionWiley StatsRef
This resource provides authoritative encyclopedia articles covering all areas of theoretical and applied statistics. Users can search or browse thousands of articles, all with cross-references and links to related articles.
- View DescriptionWomen and social movements in the United States, 1600-2000
This resource provides primary and secondary resources related to the history of women in social movements in the U.S. between 1600 and 2000.
- View DescriptionWorld Bank databank
This resource is an analysis and visualization tool that contains collections of time series data on a wide variety of social and economic topics. Data can be downloaded in multiple formats and there are advanced features for creating queries and generating customized tables, charts and maps.
- View DescriptionWorld development indicators
This resource compiles international development data (1960-present) at the national and regional level on a wide range of topics.
- World encyclopedia
- World of forensic science
- View DescriptionWorld Scholar Latin America & the Caribbean
This resource includes access to primary historical materials relating to Latin America and the Caribbean. Dates of coverage are 1492 to the 1980s and types of materials include digitized manuscripts, historical newspapers, and government documents. English and Spanish languages.
- View DescriptionWorld Shakespeare bibliography online
This resource provides annotated entries for all important books, articles, book reviews, dissertations, film and theatrical productions published or produced worldwide from 1960 to the present; reviews of productions; audiovisual materials; and other scholarly and popular materials related to Shakespeare.
- View DescriptionWorldCat
This resource is a searchable database of library collections across the United States, Canada and many other countries. Well over a billion records describe books, multimedia, serials, maps, and other information resources.. Many public domain items can be accessed directly through WorldCat or its web version at worldcat.org.
- Worldmark encyclopedia of cultures and daily life
- Worldmark encyclopedia of religious practices
- Worldmark encyclopedia of the nations
- View DescriptionWorld's fairs and expositions
This resource includes manuscript materials, images, magazine articles, books, and other materials on World's Fairs held between 1834 and 1940.
- View DescriptionWorldwide political science abstracts
This resource provides abstracts and citations for the international literature in political science, international relations and related topics. It includes abstracts of journal articles and citations to book reviews as well as abstracts of books, book chapters, dissertations, and working papers. Coverage is from 1975 - present.