Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Howe Library is currently open only to UVM students, faculty, and staff.
The Map Room is closed until further notice.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (802) 656-2542. We’ll do our best to help you.
This department houses several collections, described below.
For questions and assistance, please write to email@example.com or call (802) 656-2542.
U.S. Government Information
- The David W. Howe Memorial Library is one of 1300 congressionally designated depository libraries established to provide public access to U.S. government information.
- The library receives approximately 90 percent of the publications distributed by the U.S. Government Publishing Office.
- The collection includes approximately 900,000 publications dating from the 1700s to present in various formats—print, online, microfiche, CD, and DVD.
- Most of the collection is shelved in browsable open stacks on the library’s ground floor, available any time Howe Library is open. Some publications are housed off-site in the Library Research Annex and may be requested to be brought to Howe Library.
- Materials published 1976 and later may be identified in our publicly accessible library catalog (http://voyager.uvm.edu/vwebv/searchAdvanced). To identify earlier materials, please consult with a librarian.
- For links to online government publications, use our “US Government Resources” research guide at https://researchguides.uvm.edu/usgov or click Finding Federal & Government Materials.
- Most federal documents can be checked out to UVM students, faculty, and staff, as well as those who hold UVM guest borrower cards (see http://library.uvm.edu/about/information/library_cards).
The UVM Patent and Trademark Resource Center
- The Howe Library is a Patent and Trademark Resource Center (PTRC), designated by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). PTRCs support patent and trademark research, and technology transfer. PTRC services are free and open to the public.
- See The UVM Patent and Trademark Resource Center for more information.
- Contact the UVM PTRC at firstname.lastname@example.org or (802) 656-2542.
- Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the Map Room is currently closed to all users.
- For links to online map resources, please visit http://library.uvm.edu/research/maps
- The collection includes a wide range of spatial data resources including Vermont orthophotography and satellite photography. Computers with GIS software are available.
- Maps are housed in the Map Room next to the U.S. Government Information collection on the ground floor of Howe Library.
- The map collection is a USGS Earth Science Information Center (ESIC) state affiliate, and provides state and local information about earth science products and services.
- Most maps can be checked out to UVM students, faculty, and staff.
Government Information and Maps Staff
Trina Magi, Interim Coordinator