Community members are welcome to use our government information and maps collections in the library. For best service, please schedule an appointment with a librarian by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or
This department houses several collections, described below.
For questions and assistance, please contact the Reference Desk on the main floor or at library.uvm.edu/askhowe (Monday-Friday, 9-5).
U.S. Government Information
- The David W. Howe Memorial Library is one of 1300 congressionally designated depository libraries established to provide public access to U.S. government information.
- The library receives approximately 90 percent of the publications distributed by the U.S. Government Publishing Office.
- The collection includes approximately 900,000 publications dating from the 1700s to present in various formats—print, online, microfiche, CD, and DVD.
- Most of the collection is shelved in browsable open stacks on the library’s ground floor, available any time Howe Library is open. Some publications are housed off-site in the Library Research Annex and may be requested to be brought to Howe Library.
- Materials published 1976 and later may be identified in our publicly accessible library catalog (http://voyager.uvm.edu/vwebv/searchAdvanced). To identify earlier materials, please consult with a librarian at the Reference Desk.
- For links to online government publications, use our Government Information research guide at https://researchguides.uvm.edu/usgovinfo.
- Most federal documents can be checked out to UVM students, faculty, and staff, as well as those who hold UVM guest borrower cards (see http://library.uvm.edu/about/information/library_cards).
The UVM Patent and Trademark Resource Center
- The Howe Library is a Patent and Trademark Resource Center (PTRC), designated by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). PTRCs support patent and trademark research, and technology transfer. PTRC services are free and open to the public.
- See The UVM Patent and Trademark Resource Center for more information.
- Contact the UVM PTRC at email@example.com or (802) 656-2542.
- For access to the Map Room, please ask at the Reference Desk on the main floor (Monday-Friday, 9-5), or contact us to make an appointment at firstname.lastname@example.org or (802) 656-2542.
- For links to online map resources, please visit http://library.uvm.edu/research/maps
- The collection includes a wide range of spatial data resources including Vermont orthophotography and satellite photography. Computers with GIS software are available.
- Maps are housed in the Map Room next to the U.S. Government Information collection on the ground floor of Howe Library.
- The map collection is a USGS Earth Science Information Center (ESIC) state affiliate, and provides state and local information about earth science products and services.
- Most maps can be checked out to UVM students, faculty, and staff.