Films & Other Videos
Films with: Sanda, Dominique
- Two boys are born in Parma, Italy on the day of composer Giuseppe Verdi's death in 1901. Alfredo Berlinghieri is the son of a wealthy landowner and Olmo Dalco is the son of a poverty-stricken peasant who becomes a communist and labor organizer. Though the boys are childhood friends, they increasingly come into conflict as adults as Alfredo panders to the increasingly powerful fascists while Olmo fights relentlessly against Mussolini's followers.
- DVD 4650
- Conformist Il conformista /
- A weak-willed Italian man becomes a fascist flunky who goes to Paris to arrange the assassination of his old teacher, now a political dissident.
- DVD 5437
- Garden of the Finzi-Continis
- Set in Italy in 1938, when Mussolini's anti-Semetic edicts began to isolate the Jews from their communities. Among them were the Finzi-Continis, an aristocratic Jewish family forced for the first time to acknowledge the world beyond its fenced garden.
- DVD 2251
- Naissance d'un Golem Birth of a Golem /
- This totally original dreamlike film "notebook" features Annie Lennox of The Eurythmics in an imaginative exploration of the Golem myth. The myth of the statue made of clay that comes to life becomes a platform for a parable about the art of filmmaking and the creative process.
- DVD 2323
- Yo, la peor de todas I, the worst of all /
- This historical drama tells the story of Juana Inés de la Cruz, one of the greatest poets of the Spanish Siglo de Oro. In order to pursue her passion for writing, Juana enters the convent. There, she develops an intimate relationship with the vicereine, who inspires her poetry. But when the forces of the Inquisition invade the convent, the women have only each other to turn to.
- DVD 3133