Films & Other Videos
Films with: Sachse, Renate
- Cordillera de los suen̋os = the Cordillera of dreams
- "Patricio Guzmán left Chile more than 40 years ago when the military dictatorship took over the democratically-elected government, but he never stopped thinking about a country, a culture, and a place on the map that he never forgot. After covering the North in Nostalgia for the Light and the South in The Pearl Button, his shots get up-close with what he calls "the vast revealing backbone of Chile's past and recent history" - IMDb
- DVD 13237
- Nostalgia de la luz Nostalgia for the light /
- "Director Patricio Guzman ... travels 10,000 feet above sea level to the driest place on earth, the Atacama Desert, where atop the mountains astronomers from all over the world gather to observe the stars. The sky is so translucent that it allows them to see right to the boundaries of the universe. The Atacama is also the place where the harsh heat of the sun keeps human remains intact: those of Pre-Columbian mummies; 19th century explorers and miners; and the remains of political prisoners, "disappeared" by the Chilean army after the military coup of September, 1973. So while astronomers examine the most distant and oldest galaxies, at the foot of the mountains, women, surviving relatives of the disappeared whose bodies were dumped here, search, even after twenty-five years, for the remains of their loved ones, to reclaim their families' histories. Melding the celestial quest of the astronomers and the earthly one of the women, Nostalgia for the Light is a gorgeous, moving, and deeply personal odyssey"--Container.
- DVD 8291
- Pearl button
- "Water, the longest border in Chile, also holds the secret of a mysterious button that was discovered in its seabed. Chile, with its 2,670 miles of coastline, the largest archipelago in the world, presents a supernatural landscape. In it are volcanoes, mountains and glaciers. In it are the voices of the Patagonian indigenous people, of the first English sailors and also those of its political prisoners. Some say that water has memory. This film shows that it also has a voice."--Videodisc container. Director Patricio Guzmán connects the presence and importance of water in Chile's geography with its role in the country's select historical and cultural events, including the journey of Jemmy Button and the indigenous tribes of western Patagonia and the dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet.
- DVD 11625