Films & Other Videos
Films with: Luppi, Federico
- An aging antique dealer, Jesus Gris, happens upon an elegant mechanized scarab. When opened, it painfully stabs whomever is holding it, but the wound brings youthful vigor and a vampire's need for blood. The device is relentlessly pursued by a dying tycoon, Dieter de la Guardia, whose nephew Angel, reluctant to see his uncle live a moment longer, must still do the old man's bidding. Meanwhile, Gris's desires endanger his own graddaughter, Aurora.
- DVD 4895
- In the darkness, a clock ticks. Aging antique dealer Jesús Gris marks his time with his granddaughter Aurora, and his wife Mercedes. Señor Gris comes to possess, quite accidentally, the ancient Cronos device. The invention of a sixteenth century alchemist who fled to Mexico during the Spanish Inquisition, it grants eternal life and youthful vigor to the user. The only drawbacks are marble white skin that burns under sunlight and an insatiable thirst for human blood. Elsewhere in the city, a dying industrialist obtains the alchemist's journal, learns of the device, and imports his American nephew to track down and obtain the device, by force if necessary. Señor Gris can grasp the gift of time, but the cost is high. Can he keep his soul intact faced with such great temptation, or will he be overcome?
- DVD 13008
- Espinazo del diablo Devil's backbone /
- "One of the most personal film by Guillermo del Toro ... is also among his most frightening and emotionally layered. Set during the final week of the Spanish Civil War, it tells the tale of a twelve-year-old boy who, after his freedom-fighting father is killed, is sent to a haunted rural orphanage full of terrible secrets. Del Toro expertly combines gothic ghost story, murder mystery, and historical melodrama in a stylish melange that, like his later Pan's Labyrinth, reminds us the scariest monsters are often the human ones"--Container.
- DVD 13089
- In 1973, the Chilean military, under the direction of General Augusto Pinochet and backed by the CIA, overthrew the shaky socialist government of democratically elected President Salvador Allende. The coup led to the murder of 3,000 leftist Allende supporters and the detention of an estimated 250,000 political prisoners. Set against the background of the political instability that led to the crisis, Andrés Wood's Machuca is the moving story of the friendship between two twelve-year-old boys from different sides of the social spectrum.
- DVD 4636
- Men with guns Los hombres armados /
- An elderly physician who trains young people to provide health care to the poor people of a agricultural country finds out that many of his former students are being killed. He goes there to find out why these men with guns are killing anyone they want.
- DVD 2485