Films & Other Videos
Films with: Kimmel, Michael S.
- Angry white men American masculinity in the age of Trump /
- "In this fascinating film adaptation of his acclaimed book 'Angry White Men,' sociologist Michael Kimmel offers a clear-eyed look at why so many white American male voters are full of anger and hell-bent on smashing the political order. Drawing on hundreds of hours spent in the company of a range of self-identified 'angry white men'--from unemployed workers to men's rights activists to all-out white supremacists--Kimmel paints a picture of white men adrift and in the grips of a collective state of rage over the seismic economic, cultural, and political shifts that have been transforming the American social landscape over the past few decades."--Film website: http://store.grasshopperfilm.com/angry-white-men.html.
- DVD 12960
- Bro code how contemporary culture creates sexist men /
- "Filmmaker Thomas Keith takes aim at the forces in male culture that condition boys and men to dehumanize and disrespect women. Keith breaks down a range of contemporary media forms, zeroing in on movies and music videos that glamorize womanizing, pornography that trades in the brutalization of women, comedians who make fun of sexual assault, and a groundswell of men's magazines and cable TV shows that revel in old-school myths of American manhood. Even as epidemic levels of men's violence against women persist in the real world, the message Keith uncovers in virtually every corner of our entertainment culture is clear: It's not only normal -- but cool -- for boys and men to control and humiliate women. Arguing that there's nothing normal, natural, or inevitable about this mentality, The Bro Code challenges young people, young men and women alike, to step up and fight back against the idea that being a real man means being sexist"--Publisher's website.
- DVD 9184
- In this powerful new film based on his bestselling book, sociologist Michael Kimmel maps the troubling social world where boys become men -- a new stage of development he calls "Guyland." Arguing that the traditional adult signposts and cultural signals that once helped boys navigate their way to manhood are no longer clear, Kimmel provides an astonishing glimpse into a world where more and more young men are trying desperately to prove their masculinity to other young men -- with frequently disastrous consequences for young women and other young men. Guyland offers a way for all of us -- parents, young men and women, community members, and professors and administrators -- to envision new ways to support young men as they navigate this often perilous world.
- DVD 11494
- Mars, Venus or Planet Earth? women & men in a new millennium /
- "We've heard again and again that men and women are engaged in a 'battle of the sexes,' that we're so differently wired and so foreign to each other that we might as well come from different planets. In this powerful new lecture, renowned speaker and best selling author Michael Kimmel ... turnes this conventional wisdom on its head. With clarity and humor, Kimmel moves beyond the popular inter-planetary notion that 'men are from Mars and women are from Venus' to advance a decidedly more earth-bound and interconnected view of the things men and women have in common. This is an accessible and entertaining introduction to gender politics and gender theory - as intellectually informative as it is inspiring, and suited for use across a range of disciplines and courses"--Container.
- DVD 6837