Films & Other Videos
Films with: Kalatozov, Mikhail
- Landmarks of early Soviet film 4 disc DVD collection of 8 groundbreaking films /
- "This groundbreaking collection features eight seminal films from the Soviet silent era - all are new to DVD"--www.flickeralley.com. The house on Trubnaya: Comedy about a young peasant woman who travels to Moscow to start a new life. By the law: Tense drama about Alaskan gold-miners. Extraordinary adventures of Mr. West in the land of the Bolsheviks: The first Russian anti-American film both arrogantly mocks American ignorance toward the Soviet Union and enviously copies American cinematic methods. Old and new: In this early Soviet propaganda film, a poor woman persuades her fellow villagers to form a cooperative. Stride Soviet!: Documentary exploration of the various layers of Moscow society on the ten-year anniversary of the Revolution. The film reveals the continuing class-based nature of Soviet society through a series of montages of city life. The fall of the Romanov dynasty: Historical documentary which uses newsreel footage (some shot by Czar Nicholas II's own cameramen) to depict the tumultuous events of 1912 through 1917, as the leadership of the Czar and the Russian aristocracy crumbles and Lenin rises to power in the wake of the Soviet Revolution. Turksib: Soviet documentary on the building of the first railroad across the Asian continent from Turkestan to Siberia. Salt for Svanetia: Explores the Caucasus region of Svanetia, a remote, mountainous area where the Ushkul tribe still lives in a stone-age culture.
- DVD 10327
- Leti︠a︡t zhuravli The cranes are flying /
- When Veronica's lover, Boris, goes to war, she moves in with Boris' family. His cousin seduces her and out of guilt she marrys him. Unhappy in her marriage and still in love with Boris she leaves her husband to wait for Boris to return. Later she learns Boris has been killed in the war.
- DVD 1570
- Ya-- Kuba I am Cuba /
- Four main stories show the rise of the Communist revolution in Cuba, including Battista's Havana and the grinding poverty and oppression of the Cuban people.
- DVD 745