Films & Other Videos
Films with: Illi︠e︡nko, I︠U︡riĭ
- Bilyĭ ptakh z chornoi︠u︡ oznakoi︠u︡ White bird with a black mark /
- Shows the vicissitudes of one family in a Bukovynian village as Ukrainian nationalists, with Nazi support, fight the Soviets. The five brothers, who have a musical combo, experience many tragic events and profound changes during and after World War II.
- DVD 10594
- Krynyt︠s︡i︠a︡ dli︠a︡ sprahlykh : kinoprytcha
- The elderly villager Levko Serdiuk loses the urge to live after his wife dies and his sons and their families move away, so he devises a trick to get them to come back.
- DVD 10596
- Lebedyne ozero zona = Swan Lake : the zone /
- A powerful political allegory based on screenwriter Sergei Paradjanov's own prison camp experiences. Themes of captivity and escape, love and betrayal and surrender and sacrifice are dealt with in an extraordinary visual display which has virtually no dialogue, but is rich in harrowing sound effects.
- DVD 10591
- Legenda o kni︠a︡gine Olʹge Legend of Princess Olha /
- The dying feudal lord, Vladimir, the Great, reviews his life and ponders anew the many mysteries surrounding the origins and character of his paternal grandmother, the mighty Kni︠a︡gini︠a︡ Olga; a woman of such strength and purpose that she influenced even the course he had set for himself in life.
- DVD 10592
- Lesnai︠a︡ pesni︠a︡ Mavka /
- Mavka, a water nymph, loves Lukash, a country youth. Their brief happiness ends when Lukash is forced to marry the shrewish Kilina. The Spirit of the Forest turns Lukash into a wolf as punishment for his infidelity. The strength of Mavka's love breaks the spell, but Kilina curses the nymph, transforming her into a weeping willow.
- DVD 10593
- Vechir na Ivana Kupala Eve of Ivan Kupala /
- "This darkly evocative, poetic and imagistic film is based on several folktales recounted by Nikolai V. Gogol (1809-1852). Cinematically complex and varied, the nonlinear story is told with virtually no dialog and serves mainly as a framework for showing scenes with deeply mythological imagery. It concerns the efforts a young peasant is making to win the hand of a rich man's daughter, in the course of which the peasant is led deeper and deeper into complicity with the evils that surround him"--http://movies.nytimes.com.
- DVD 10595