Films & Other Videos
- Set in a crowded city tenement, a story of contrasts depicting an illiterate, lighthearted brewery worker, who is also a single father to a young, educated son. Their relationship is complicated when a woman becomes involved.
- DVD 8522
- Hitori musuko Only son /
- The story examines the motherly love of a peasant woman who gives up everything so that her son can receive education in Tokyo. Ten years later, the mother pays her son a visit in Tokyo, believing that he has become a successful young man. However, upon arrival, she is bitterly disappointed to find out that her son is working as a night-school teacher and living in poverty with his family.
- DVD 9084
- Tōkyō no kōrasu
- His son wants a bicycle, his daughter a balloon, his wife just wants to have financial stability. Low wage-earning dad Okajima is counting on his bonus to make ends meet. His wife and children also eagerly await the additional money. But payday doesn't go exactly as planned.
- DVD 8509
- Ukigusa monogatari A story of floating weeds /
- In 1959, Yasujiro Ozu remade his 1934 silent film: A Story of Floating Weeds in color and sound with the cinematographer Kazuo Miyagawa (Rashomon, Ugetsu). Setting his later version in a seaside location, Ozu otherwise preserves the details of his elegantly simple plot wherein an aging actor returns to a small town with his troupe and reunities with his former lover and illegitimate son, a scenario that enrages his current mistress and results in heartbreak for all. A Story of Floating Weeds reveals Ozu in the midst of developing his mode of expression; Floating weeds reveals his distinct style at its pinnacle. In each, the director captures the joy and sadness in everyday life.
- DVD 4584