Films & Other Videos
Films with: Fraser, John
- Eleventh-century Spain is divided into Christian kingdoms and Moorish strongholds. The young Rodrigo Diaz de Bivar, who has been dubbed El Cid by his followers, vows to see his country at peace, free from the invader. Showing clemency to some emirs, he faces treason charges at court. His accuser, Gomez, father of his fiancee, Chimene, dies in the resulting duel. Chimene's avowed vengeance plot fails and Rodrigo is given her hand. When King Ferdinand dies, his kingdom is divided among his three children. Sancho challenges the decision and imprisons Alfonso, who is released by El Cid. Then Sancho is assassinated by an African war-lord. Alfonso now claims that throne, too, and exiles El Cid. Chimene realizes the nobility of her husband and joins him. The years pass and El Cid becomes a revered warrior, but refuses to aid Alfonso. He lays siege to Valencia, catapulting food into its starving garrison. The Valencians kill their evil ruler and offer the crown to El Cid. He sends it to Alfonso, who rushes to his side. But El Cid has been hit by a stray arrow. Attended by Chimene, he hides the wound from his men and prepares a final bid to drive the Moors from Spain.
- DVD 7612
- Galileo's battle for the heavens
- Dramatization of Galileo Galilei's life, including his scientific achievements and his defense of his controversial theory that the earth revolves around the sun. Also includes how letters from his illegitimate daughter, Maria Celeste, a cloistered nun, have shed new light on Galileo's discoveries and his trial for heresy.
- DVD 4093
- Carol is a fragile, frigid young Belgian beauty cracking up over the course of a terrifying weekend. Left alone by her vacationing sister in their London flat, she finds herself haunted by specters, real and imagined, as her insanity grows to a violent pitch.
- DVD 6719
- Tunes of glory
- Jock Sinclair is a whiskey-drinking, by-the-bootstraps commanding officer of a peacetime Scottish battalion. Sinclair is a lifetime military man. He expects loyalty and respect from his men. But when Basil Barrow, an educated, by-the-book scion from a traditional military family enters the scene as Sinclair's replacement, the two men become locked in a fierce battle for control of the battalion and the hearts and minds of its men.
- DVD 3378