Films & Other Videos
Films with: Akerman, Chantal
- Captive The captive /
- Tells the story of Ariane, who lives under her lover Simon's surveillance in a grandiose Parisian apartment. Simon harbours an obsessional need to know everything about her, and imagines that she leads a double life.
- DVD 4169
- Chantal Akerman in the seventies
- La chambre: The camera goes around the room three times, starting at a table, and slowly making its way 360 degrees around the room. Hotel Monterey: Short film consisting entirely of shots of people walking in and out of a rundown New York hotel. News from home: Presents a series of abstract and fragmentary images of everyday urban life in 1970s New York City, accompanied by the distinctive narration of filmmaker Chantal Akerman as she dispassionately reads through her mother's alternately affectionate, melancholic, and sincere, but maternally manipulative letters from her native Belgium. Je tu il elle: Akerman's first feature-length film. A jittery young woman gradually gains experience and maturity in her travels around France. Sex, love, food and personal identity become intertwined as she sets out to define herself, her loves, and her desires. Les rendez-vous d'Anna: An independent woman film-maker journeys through Germany, Belgium, and France, meeting a stream of friends, lovers, relatives, and strangers, and passing through alienating landscapes of anonymous hotel rooms, train stations, and cinemas.
- DVD 11349
- Demain on déménage = Tomorrow we move
- When Charlotte takes in her widowed mother, the ensuing clutter drives her to distraction. As Charlotte pursues her desperate, slapstick quest for peace, her solution is to relocate, but the flood of buyers only make the place more crowded.
- DVD 3792
- Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
- Evokes a sense of impending doom, the daily domestic routine of a middle-aged widow. Her chores include making the beds, cooking dinner for her grown son, and turning the occasional trick. Her life is beginning to break down.
- DVD 6717
- No home movie
- The final film from groundbreaking auteur Chantal Akerman is a portrait of her relationship with her mother, Natalia, a Holocaust survivor and familiar presence in many of her daughter's films.
- DVD 11768