Ask a Librarian

Threre are lots of ways to contact a librarian. Choose what works best for you.


9:00 am - 6:00 pm

Reference Desk


(802) 656-2022


(802) 503-1703



Schedule an Appointment

Meet with a librarian or subject specialist for in-depth help.

Email a Librarian

Submit a question for reply by e-mail.


Library Hours for Thursday, December 14th

All of the hours for today can be found below. We look forward to seeing you in the library.
7:00 am - 2:00 am


Maps9:00 am - 5:00 pm

Media Services8:00 am - 9:00 pm

Reference Desk9:00 am - 6:00 pm

Cyber Cafe (All Night Study)12:00 am - 8:00 am


Special Collections10:00 am - 6:00 pm

Dana Medical Library7:30 am - 11:00 pm

Classroom Technology Services8:00 am - 4:30 pm



Search the UVM Libraries' collections

FAQs - All Questions

  • We have large holdings of DVDs, CDs, and VIDEOS in the media collection along with thousands of online streaming films accessible through the CATQuest Library catalog.
  • A variety of media equipment - digital/still cameras, tripods, microphones, recording items, projectors, screens, and many more.
  • A multimedia lab with several Mac computer systems, access to a variety of media-related software programs - Adobe Suite and Final Cut Pro among many others also available and a 3D printer.
  • Technical assistance may be requested by UVM faculty, staff, and students needing help in the Multimedia lab and with instruction on how to use the media equipment.

The media collections, equipment, and lab is a free resource.and is available to current UVM faculty, staff, and students.

  • Find your Subject Librarian by department. Select the librarian’s name to find a “Schedule an Appointment” link or contact information.  
  • Librarians are also available at the Reference Desk. Consult Hours and Directions for more information about Reference Desk hours.

The latest issue of the New York Times can be found on the popular newspaper display, on the second floor of Bailey/Howe. Please Note: Once the Sunday New York Times is received (usually on the following Tuesday), it is placed directly in Current Periodicals.

Recent Newspapers Shelf

Print copies for the last 30 days can be found in Current Periodicals on the second floor, and digital copies can be found in Research Databases.


Our federal government publications are located on the ground floor of the Bailey/Howe Library. They are available whenever the Library is open.

You can also narrow a search in CATQuest or the Classic Library Catalog to include only items in Government Documents.

In the CATQuest search box:

  • Enter your search terms
  • In the results list, under "Refine my Results", narrow by "Library Locations" to "Government Documents"

In the Classic Library Catalog:

  • Select the “Guided Keyword” tab
  • Fill in your search terms
  • Select “Bailey/Howe Documents” in the Location dropdown.
  • Select “Search”

In addition, resources may be available through government agencies online. A list of government websites can be found on the Library website:

You can find a variety of research materials about UVM people, places and programs, past and present, in Special Collections and the University Archives.

Print periodicals can be found in several locations:

  • Print periodicals for the last 30 days are located in Current Periodicals, on the second floor, next to the main stairwell. Recent issues of several popular newspapers are shelved next to Current Periodicals on wooden displays.
    The Recent Newspaper display, is located near the McCrorey Gallery
  • In some cases, older periodicals can be found in our bound periodical collection on the second floor, on microfilm, or in the Library Research Annex.
  • Many of our periodicals are only available electronically. For a full listing of both print and digital periodical locations and coverage, search for your Journal Title or Ask a Librarian for help.

The Popular Reading shelf is on the second floor, at the top of the main stairwell.

  • There is a popular reading shelf on the second floor near the top of the main stairwell.
  • You can also search for a specific title or author (last name, first name) in CATQuest or the Classic Library Catalog.
  • In the main stacks, fiction can be found in call number ranges that begin with PR, PS, and PZ. However, this is a very large area to browse, and it covers a diverse range of genres! If you would like help locating books in a specific genre or on a specific topic, Ask a Librarian.

The Map Room houses a large collection of U.S. maps and maps from all over the world. These materials include topographical maps covering the U.S. and aerial photography of Vermont. The library also offers access to some maps online.  

Computers available in the Map Room have ArcGIS and other mapping programs, as well as digital aerial photography of Vermont. A scanner is also available.


You may want to consider a couple of factors when choosing a citation manager:

  • Are you collaborating with someone? If so, what do they use?
  • Does your professor, supervisor, or discipline have a preference?

For basic descriptions, technical specifications, and information on how to download, use, or find help with these citation managers, check out Information Management Tools.


Try searching for your publication by title in Journal Titles:

  • In the results list, click on the appropriate title to check the Libraries’ coverage.  
  • Often a journal or newspaper is included in multiple databases. If this is the case, look for dates of coverage.
  • Sometimes a journal or newspaper is also available in print or microfilm. If this is the case, item locations will be included under "Holdings in UVM Libraries Catalog".


If you would like help locating a journal or newspaper, or a specific article, Ask a Librarian.

Complete the CATQuest Overview tutorial for an introduction to CATQuest’s features, or take a look at the CATQuest User Guide for additional tips. For more assistance, Ask a Librarian.

NOTE: Sign in to CATQuest to include databases such as Web of Science and ArtStor in your search. To sign in:

  1. Select Advanced Search in the CATQuest search box:
    Select Advanced Search in the CATQuest one search box.
  2. From there, select the 'Sign in' link in the upper right corner:
    Sign into CATQuest in the upper right hand corner.

You can search for library books with one of these tools:

In CATQuest: Use the search box on the Library homepage:

Find a link to the Classic Catalog in the Research menu

In the Classic Library Catalog: Click on the “Research” dropdown, then select “Classic Library Catalog” from the menu.

Find a link to the Classic Catalog in the Research menu

If you are not sure how to use these tools, try our CATQuest Overview or take a look at the CATQuest User Guide. For the Classic Library Catalog, try our Introduction to the Classic Library Catalog.

NOTE: If you are working off campus, you will need to log in to the library website before accessing material. On the library home page, select “Connect Off Campus” and log in with your NetID and password.

Select the Connect Off Campus button.

Recent UVM theses and dissertations are published on ScholarWorks @ UVM and are accessible online. The Library also provides a list of UVM theses and dissertations that can be requested from our Annex.

For additional assistance, Ask a Librarian.

Staff in the Government Information Office (on the ground floor of the Bailey/Howe Library) can help with maps and GIS related questions. If no staff are available, email or call 802-656-2542.

Please note, if you know you will have questions, it is best to make an appointment before coming in.

Check with staff in the Government Information Office on the ground floor of the Bailey/Howe Library. If no staff are available or if you are off-campus, email or call 802-656-2542.


Your access to the libraries' online resources from off-campus will end once the next semester starts. For example, if you graduate in the spring, you will lose access once the summer semester starts. If you graduate in the fall, you will lose access once the spring semester starts.

However, anyone can use the public computers in the Bailey/Howe Library to access the Libraries’ online resources.

The Bailey/Howe Library has a small collection of audiobooks. For the most part, these resources are on CD. To browse our audiobooks, search:

In CATQuest:

  1. Select “Advanced Search”

    Select Advanced Search in the CATQuest search box.

  2. Set the “Any” drop down to “Subject”
  3. Search for audiobooks
  4. Set the “Resource Type” to “Audio Visual”.
  5. Select “Search”

In the Classic Library Catalog:

  1. Set the “Find results in” dropdown to “Subject Heading”
  2. Search for audiobooks

If you have a library card for a public library in Vermont, try searching Listen Up! Vermont for a broader selection of audiobooks.

​Community members are welcome at the UVM Libraries.

  • The Bailey/Howe Library offers public computers which will give you access to library databases and to most internet sites. Please note, these computers are intended to support affiliates and non-affiliates in their studies and research. Some websites are restricted.
  • The Library offers public computers which will give you access to the internet and to library databases. Computers for the public are located near the front of the Library and on the 2nd and 3rd floors at the top of the stairs.
  • To check out books, community members will need to purchase a guest borrower card. This card will not allow you to check out DVDs, media equipment, or request items through Interlibrary Loan (ILL).

Alumni are welcome at UVM Libraries.  

  • The Bailey/Howe Library offers public computers which provide access to library databases and most internet sites. Please note, these computers are intended to support research and learning. Some websites are restricted.
  • Computers for the public are located near the front of the Library and on the 2nd and 3rd floors at the top of the stairs.
  • To check out books, alumni need to purchase an alumni borrower card. This card will not allow you to check out DVDs, media, equipment, or request items through Interlibrary Loan (ILL).

If you are just starting your research, try searching:

  • Academic Search Premier - This database offers access to a variety of articles, including articles from peer-reviewed and scholarly journals. Try our Finding Articles with Academic Search Premier tutorial for more information on using this database to find scholarly/peer-reviewed articles.
  • CATQuest - This discovery tool searches a variety of UVM resources, including books, databases and media. Try our CATQuest Overview tutorial for more information on using this tool to find scholarly/peer-reviewed articles.

While these are good places to start searching, there may be better places to search for discipline-specific information. In general, databases are a good place to look for peer-reviewed or scholarly articles. Check out our subject guides for subject-specific databases that have been recommended by a subject librarian.  

For additional assistance, Ask a Librarian at the reference desk or schedule an appointment with your subject librarian.

Our Engaging with Information tutorial recommends a method for evaluating information that will help you analyze the sources you find.

For additional assistance, Ask A Librarian.

The style you use depends on the subject area of the class and the preferences of your professor. Consult your assignment or ask your professor if you are unsure.

  • Microfilm is located on the second floor of the Bailey/Howe Library in the Quiet Study room.
  • Microfilm readers are located on the first floor, in between the Writing Center and Reference Services.
  • There is a brief guide next to each machine to show you how to load the microfilm, and a user guide for our microfilm software, ScanPro 2000.
  • If you would like help getting started, visit the Reference Desk or Circulation.
  • If you are a degree-seeking student, and you are enrolled in a class for the fall semester, you will not lose access to the Libraries’ online resources over the summer.
  • If you are not a degree seeking student, and you are not enrolled in a summer class, you will lose access to the Libraries’ online resources after the summer add/drop period.
  • If you are a current UVM faculty/staff member/retiree, you will continue to have access to the Libraries’ online resources.

In the humanities, primary sources are documents, objects, or other evidence that was created during the time period under study (or after the time period in the form of memoirs or oral histories). Because they were created by people living in the period under study, primary sources provide a direct, inside look at events, attitudes, and customs.

  • Our Primary Sources guide offers tips for finding primary sources with the Classic Library Catalog and recommends further searching in collections that are specific to UVM.
  • Our Finding and Using Primary Sources guide offers suggestions for finding primary sources by type, i.e. newspapers, periodicals, correspondence & diaries, speeches, government information, travelogues, images & motion pictures, and other online collections.

Finding primary sources can be difficult. Don’t hesitate to Ask a Librarian for help.

NOTE: If this is not what you mean by primary source, talk to your subject librarian.

The Library has some electronic books. To access these:

In CATQuest:

  1. Search for the topic you are interested in.
  2. Under “Refine my Results”, select “Books” as a resource type.
    Refine Search
  3. In the top-level limiters, select “Online Resources”.
    Show only online resources

In the Classic Library Catalog:

  1. Do a “Guided Keyword” search.
    Use the Guided Keyword tab in the Classic Catalog
  2. Enter your topic in the “Search” field.
  3. Set the “Location” drop down to “E-Books”.
  4. Select "Search".
    Search for e-books in the Classic Catalog

If you have a library card for a Vermont public library, try searching Listen Up! Vermont for a broader selection of ebooks.

Many federal government publications can be checked out. Check with staff in the Government Information Office (on the Ground floor of the library) or contact the Circulation Desk on the main floor of Bailey/Howe or at (802) 656-2023.

The Dana Medical Library’s collection contains materials in medicine and other health sciences topics, including nursing, physical therapy, public health and medical history.

The Dana Medical Library supports faculty, staff, and students in the Larner College of Medicine, the College of Nursing and Health Sciences, and the University of Vermont Medical Center. All UVM faculty, staff and students have access to its collections. The Library itself is open to all, including community members and all residents of Vermont.

If you need a book or journal article that is not in the Library’s collections, or if you need a book in the collection that is unavailable, you can request a copy through Interlibrary Loan (ILL).

  • Check whether the item is in the Library’s collections.
  • To place an ILL request, go to the Library homepage and click on the green “ILL / DD Request” button.
  • Log in with your UVM NetID, select the type of item that you need, and submit the form.
  • To get more information about ILL, go to the Research menu and click on Interlibrary Loan & Document Delivery. This page also provides information about Document Delivery (DD), a service for requesting email delivery of PDF scans of articles and book chapters in the Library’s collections.

Yes. The second and third floors are both designated quiet floors. On both of these upper floors, we ask that visitors keep conversation to a minimum and try and keep their volume level to a whisper. We also ask that visitors take all phone calls to the first floor or outside of the library. Please silence any personal electronic devices, or set them to vibrate - out of respect for others. 

If you require absolute silence, we recommend that you visit the Quiet Study/Microforms Room (Room 200) on the second floor, where even whispering is discouraged.


No, you cannot currently pay your library fines/fees directly via our website or online catalog. All financial transactions/payments for library fines and fees are processed by a central office on campus called Student Financial Services. Their complete contact information can be found at:

If you have questions about library fines or need help understanding fees you may have incurred, please contact the Bailey/Howe Library’s Circulation department, or visit the Circulation desk and speak directly to a staff member.

(802) 656-2023

During the academic year, Special Collections is open Monday-Thursday 10 am-6 pm, Friday 10 am-5 pm, and Sunday 1-5 pm.

During the summer, Special Collections is open Monday-Friday 10 am-5 pm and Friday 10 am-4:30 pm.

Please check for exceptions to the scheduled hours during intersessions, holidays and special events.

No, the ILL Dept. doesn't order textbooks; see our ILL Policies - Textbooks webpage.

If you access Google Scholar through the link in Research Databases, you can run a search that includes a “Find It @ UVM” link. This link will allow you to search for articles in the Libraries’ collection.

NOTE: If you are working off campus, you will be prompted to log in with your NetID.

On the Library home page, select “Connect Off Campus” and log in with your NetID and password.

Connect Off Campus

If you continue to have problems accessing a database after logging in, please submit an eResource Problem Report.

NOTE: If you do not have a NetID and password, you will need to access the databases from the public computers in Bailey/Howe Library.


Yes, the ILL Dept. does do document delivery (DocDel) for our patrons (UVM faculty, staff, and students).

  • You input your request (click on "Place a Request");
  • We locate the item on our shelves;
  • We scan the article / chapter;
  • And then we deliver the PDF to your ILLiad account where you can access it.

See our ILL Policies - Document Delivery webpage for more information about what we can and can't scan for you.

If an item is “Available online”, you can access it by clicking on the title in the results list.

Click on the title to access the article.

If you are working off campus, you will need to log in to the Library website before accessing the material. To log in, go to the Library home page, select “Connect Off Campus”, and log in with your NetID and password.

Connect Off Campus

For more tips on using CATQuest, take a look at the CATQuest User Guide.

These books are shelved in the Libraries’ storage annex, and you will need to request a book delivery. To do this, select the “Request from Annex” button and follow the directions. Items are typically delivered within 24 hours.  

In CATQuest: Request from Annex

In the Classic Library Catalog: Request from Annex_CC.JPG

CATQuest provides access to a variety of research materials. Search results may include articles, books, government publications, movies, images, music, and archival materials.

Typically, results are labeled with a resource icon to indicate what you are looking at.

Resource Format is noted to the left of the record.

For more tips on using CATQuest, try our CATQuest Overview tutorial or check out our CATQuest User Guide.

We recommend a variety of sources to help you cite your research, including guides for APA, Chicago (and Turabian), MLA, Scientific Style (CSE), and more.

Our Working with Articles tutorial will introduce you to the types of articles that you may find in your research, including differences in audience, depth of coverage, authorship, and review process.

In CATQuest:

  1. Select “Advanced Search”

    Select Advanced Search in the CATQuest search box

  2. Enter your topic, or if you just want to see what we have in a particular language enter "$$" (2 dollar signs)
  3. Adjust the language drop down as desired
  4. Select “Search”
    In CATQuest, you can search for a topic or look for any resource in a particular language

In the Classic Library Catalog:

  1. Select “Guided Keyword”

    Select the Guided Keyword tab in the Classic Catalog

  2. Enter your topic
  3. Adjust the language dropdown as desired
  4. Select “Search”

    In the Classic Catalog, you can search for resources in a particular language, but you need a topic.

Print/Copy/Scan options in the library include:

On the main level (all located either just inside or just outside of the Cyber Cafe):

  • two black and white print/copy/scanners
  • a color print/copy/scanner and
  • a book-eye scanner

In the Reference Area (located in the center of the main level):

  • a black and white printer
  • two microform scanning machines

In Special Collections on the bottom floor:

  • a printer/copier
  • a book-eye scanner

The Maps room on the ground level has specialized printing capability for printing larger maps.

You may renew any regularly circulating book up to 5 times, provided another borrower has not placed a hold or recall on it. You can renew your books online at the Patron Information Page, as long as none of your books are overdue. You may also renew your books at the Circulation desk, in person or by calling the Circulation Department at (802) 656-2023.

For UVM affiliates:

There are over 200 computers available in the library for UVM affiliates. These computers require (NetID) authentication. They can be found:

On the main level:

  • In the Reference Department 
  • In the Cyber Café

On the 2nd floor they are located along the wall above the main entrance and continuing back along the wall into the “Current Issues” area of the Periodicals department.

On the bottom floor, there are six located outside of the Government Documents/Maps department.

Public Access Computers:

There are public access computers available on every level of the library. These do not require login credentials. They are, however, secured and allow access only to limited sites (relating to research and email). They can be found:

  • On the bottom floor, there is 1 outside of the Government Documents/Maps Department.
  • On the main level, there are ten abutting the McRorey Gallery. One of these is wheelchair accessible. See handicapped accessible computing in the library.
  • On the 2nd floor, there are 2 at the top of the main staircase, near the elevator.
  • On the 3rd floor, there are two next to the elevator and there are also two in the book stacks area to the right of the stairs. The placement of these is meant to allow easy research of call number location.

All print jobs need to be retrieved through a card swipe system. 

  • Non-UVM affiliates can purchase and deposit money onto the required card at the CATcard machine at the front (Circulation) desk. 
  • UVM affiliates can use this machine to deposit more money onto their UVM ID card, if necessary.
  • Using the card swipe located near the printer, swipe your card to view jobs in the queue. 

Jobs sent from UVM Affiliate machines can be found listed under your NetID. Jobs sent from public computers can be found listed under the name of the computer from which you sent the job (e.g. user110).

The library computers will send your print job to whichever printer option is chosen. Unless you choose a different printer, before or during printing, the default printer is where you will go to retrieve your print job.

  • For UVM affiliate computers, everywhere but inside the Cyber Café has a default printer as the Reference Department printer.
  • Cyber Café Computers will, by default, print to the black and white printer inside the glass doors to the café.
  • The Public Access computers' default print station is the printer just outside the Cyber Café.

To print from your laptop, you first need to download a software package.

When installation is complete, follow directions as from library computers. The job will be listed as the name of your computer (e.g. John’s computer).

Our Scholarly Metrics for UVM Faculty guide offers:

  • tips for finding traditional metrics, such as impact factors, and altmetrics
  • steps for tracking metrics in Google.

Ancestry Library Edition (a library edition of is accessible in Research Databases.

Mometrix eLibrary is available in Research Databases. This resource offers online study guides and practice tests for a variety of graduate, professional, and teaching certification exams, including the GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT, and Praxis II subject tests. 

We also offer a few guides to the GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT, and Praxis in our circulating collection. NOTE: The print collection does not include guides that are specific to the Praxis II subject tests.


If you are experiencing technical problems with an electronic resource, such as a database, online journal, or ebook, please submit an eResource Problem Report.

Library hours may vary depending on the semester, day, and department. Consult our Hours and Directions for more information.

The Library no longer offers binding services; try contacting UVM Print & Mail Services (802-656-1961), Staples, or Kinkos instead. Copies of bound dissertations and theses are also available from ProQuest LLC.  

Maps hours may vary depending on semester or day. Consult our Hours and Directions for more information.

If you would like to make a monetary donation to the library, please go through the UVM Foundation, accessible here

If you would like to donate books or other items, please contact the Dean's Office at 802-656-2020.

Our Finding Articles with Academic Search Premier tutorial offers an introduction to searching with a library database. Many of the concepts discussed in this tutorial can be transferred to other databases, but you will also find some variation between different databases. Ask a Librarian for additional help.

There is one public workstation that is wheelchair accessible immediately inside the entrance to the library, to your left.

For students with disabilities requiring accessible media or those needing assistance with notetaking, Student Accessibility Services' Universal Technology Lab is located on the second floor of the Bailey/Howe Library, to the right of the staircase. Initial assessment of disability status must first be conducted by SAS before being able to make use of these services.

Our Finding a Book in the Library tutorial offers some good tips on finding books with CATQuest and locating books in the library's main collection.


There are a wide variety of jobs available to UVM students at the Library. The work typically involves helping library users at public service desks or working individually on projects and clerical tasks. All student jobs are part-time and are worked around a student's class schedule. We have day, night and weekend hours to choose from. We welcome applications from students who qualify for the Federal Work Study program but it is NOT a requirement that you have a Work Study grant in order to apply. You must be a UVM student to be eligible for employment.

Apply for all jobs by contacting:

Angus Robertson, Access Services Supervisor
Location: Bailey/Howe Library Circulation Desk
Phone: 802-656-2651

Special Collections houses the Vermont research collection and UVM’s rare books and archives. It is located on the lower level of Bailey/Howe Library.

Special Collections is open to all members of the UVM community. It is also open to the public.

Special Collections books and other materials can only be used in the Special Collections reading room. Copying with department scanners or personal digital cameras may be permitted.

You do not need to make an appointment to use Special Collections materials or view exhibits when the department is open. However, most manuscript collections are stored off site, so researchers should check with Special Collections staff in advance, either by email or by calling 802-656-2138.

We accept software installation requests from professors. Please direct your request to them.

After 10 minutes of inactivity, you will be logged out automatically. After automatic logoff, there is an additional 5 minutes before the machine disconnects from your account. After this time, your files will be gone forever.

It is not a good idea to leave yourself logged into a computer that is unattended and you don't want to lose your files. The best option if you do not have external media with you is to save your files to your UVM server space. There is a Zoo Files link on the desktop, which can be used to drag and drop files. You can also use (which shows the content of your Zoo Files) from any browser to download and upload your files. 

Interlibrary loan:

  • of Books usually takes 1-5 days after we process your request (depending on the material and from which library we can get the book).
  • of Articles often happens within 24 hours of us processing your request, but may take 1-3 days for the PDF to arrive in your UVM email in-box.

The lending library sets the loan period, usually 4-8 weeks. Many libraries (though not all) offer renewals, which vary from 2-4 weeks in length.

No, UVM alumni must use

  • their local public library
  • or, their new university library if they've moved on to graduate school. 

Alumni place their order with their new library, and that library will contact UVM (and any other libraries that own the material) about borrowing it.

Yes, you can request DVDs through ILL.

  • We will attempt to find those through usual ILL channels.
  • Many libraries do lend DVDs, but licensing restrictions sometimes prevent titles from being loaned out.
  • If we can't get a DVD through ILL, we will work with Multimedia Services to see about purchasing a copy.


Most federal government publications are arranged by Superintendent of Documents (SuDocs) call number.

Some larger sets are shelved separately. These include:

  • Annals of Congress
  • Census publications
  • Code of Federal Regulations
  • Congressional Globe
  • Congressional Record
  • Country Studies
  • Foreign Relations of the United States
  • Handbook of North American Indians
  • Public Papers of the Presidents
  • Register of Debates in Congress
  • Smithsonian Bureau of Ethnology Reports
  • Statutes at Large
  • Trials of War Criminals (Nuremberg Trials)
  • U.S. Congressional Serial Set
  • United States Code
  • United States Reports (Supreme Court decisions)


For any questions, check with the Government Information Office on the Ground floor of Bailey/Howe Library, or contact us at or (802) 656-2542.


Equipment and media items may be scheduled in advance by filling out the appropriate Multimedia Services online request forms.  When scheduling online, forms must be submitted a minimum of 3 days in advance of use date.

You can find all library staff and faculty contact information on our Staff Directory page.

Only library-sponsored events are able to table inside of the library. For outside table scheduling, contact Event Services through the Davis Center at:

  • In person: Davis Center (Room 301)
  • Call: (802) 656.1204
  • Email:

Films or CDs on course reserve are held in the Multimedia Services Center at the Media Front Desk, located on the main floor. You will need your UVM ID (CATcard) to sign out the item. Media reserve materials are viewed or listened to on a Mac system in the Multimedia Lab, which is situated directly across from the Media Desk.  Lab entry is with your CATcard.

Yes, you may request the Library to purchase a DVD through the Media Resource Purchase Recommendation form.

Multimedia Services does not have cell phone chargers available. There are several outlet spaces within the library to charge various devices but you will not find cables provided there.  A charging station for all devices is located on the 2nd floor in the Davis Center.

We have Mac adapters available to UVM affiliates for loan. You may reserve one in advance by filling out a Schedule Media Equipment Form or request one in person at the Multimedia Services Circulation Desk.

No, there is no fee attached to requesting a book or an article from the ILL Dept.

The Library receives a limited number of federal tax forms and instruction booklets. We do not receive Vermont tax forms, but they can be ordered online.

No, guest borrowers cannot request items through the ILL Dept. They must request items through the ILL department of their own library (public or university).

If you would like to film in the Library, please contact the Dean's Office for permission at 802-656-2020.

The Vermont Research Collection in Special Collections includes books, photographs, maps, and manuscripts that cover a wide range of historical and contemporary topics.

The Bailey/Howe Library provides ten group study rooms to currently enrolled UVM students, faculty, and staff.

The group study rooms are designed to serve as a place for users to engage in collaborative work in small groups, watch videos, and hold meetings.

Group study rooms are equipped with large monitors, whiteboards, and computers. Most have additional data and power jacks for up to six laptops.

You can book a group study room, as well as review further details about the policies governing the use of these rooms by visiting the following link:

A laptop with modern wireless capability will see a signal to the UVM network. Upon clicking on this network, a UVM NetID and password is required.

If a patron wishes to use the network with the use of an Ethernet cable, there are jacks available along the outside wall of the Cyber Café. Ethernet cables can also be checked out from the Circulation Desk.

  • Try placing a hold: when the book is returned, the Circulation Desk will notify you that it is available.
  • Place a recall: the person who has the book will be asked to return it within two weeks.
  • Request the item through Interlibrary Loan (ILL).