Films & Other Videos
Films with: Weiner, Hal
- Future conditional
- Investigates the link between environmental change and the future health of the planet, a future conditional on how we cope with the spread of toxic pollution. In the Arctic, animals and humans are suddenly plagued with rising levels of hazardous chemicals: DDT, PCBs, dioxins, and mercury. Along the U.S.-Mexico border, tariff-free factories have been poisoning the soil and air for more than a decade, and local communities in Tijuana struggle with contaminated water while their backyards have become toxic playgrounds for children. In Uzbekistan, the world's fourth largest inland body of water, the Aral Sea, has become the site of what the United Nations calls man's greatest ecological disaster. In the United States, a Latin neighborhood in San Diego celebrates an environmental victory, while only 150 miles away, the people of Palm Springs may be living in the path of a toxic storm of dust.
- DVD 3564
- Journey to planet Earth
- Discusses achieving a balance between the needs of people and the needs of the environment, focusing on loss of farmland, river pollution, inadequate housing and water resources, environmental pressures, grasslands, wildlife, and the link between environmental change and human health.
- DVD 5382
- Journey to planet Earth.
- "Investigates the health and sustainability of the world's oceans, with a special emphasis on climate change and issues affecting marine reserves, fisheries and coastal ecosystems" -- Container.
- DVD 9026
- Journey to planet Earth. mobilizing to save civilization /
- "As fossil fuel prices rise, oil insecurity deepens, and concerns about climate change cast a shadow over the future of coal, a new energy economy is emerging. Wind, solar, and geothermal energy are replacing oil, coal, and natural gas, at a pace and on a scale we could not have imagined even a year ago. For the first time since the Industrial Revolution, we have begun investing in energy sources that can last forever. Plan B: Mobilizing to Save Civilization explores both the nature of this transition to a new energy economy and its effect on our daily lives"--Container.
- DVD 9007
- State of the planet
- Investigates some of the most critical environmental and earth science questions of the 21st century. Are populations soaring out of control? Are we running out of water? Will there be enough water and food for future generations? Global warming - a false alarm or a gathering storm? And why we should take these issues seriously before it is too late.
- DVD 3563