Films & Other Videos
Films with: Merkerson, S. Epatha
- Art 21 art in the twenty-first century /
- A unique television series presenting 37 diverse artists working in the United States today, taking viewers behind the scenes--and beyond the museum or gallery experience--into artists' studios, homes, and communities to provide an intimate view of their lives, work, creative processes, and sources of inspiration. Themes provide a connective thread between profiles of three to five artists per program. The artists, including painters, photographers, sculptors, performance, and video artists, demonstrate the breadth of artistic practice across the United States and reveal the depth of intergenerational and multicultural talent"--Container.
- DVD 2857
- Contradictions of fair hope
- Examination of a little known aspect of American history, when newly freed slaves throughout the South formed 'benevolent societies' to respond to abject hunger, illness and the fear of a pauper's grave. "The Fair Hope Benevolent Society" in Uniontown, Alabama, provides an unprecedented look at the complex and morally ambiguous juxtaposition of the Society with the worldly pleasures of what has become known as the annual "Foot Wash" celebration.
- DVD 10064
- Jump at the sun
- A biography of African American author and folklorist Zora Neale Hurston, the first black woman to enter the American literary canon.
- DVD 10608
- Lackawanna blues
- In a story fueled by rhythm and blues, a young boy's life is shaped by love and the stories of a cast of characters in the boarding house where he lives. Based on Ruben Santiago-Hudson's autobiographical play about his relationship with his guardian Rachel Crosby, set in 1950's and 1960's Lackawanna, New York. After the separation of his parents, young Ruben, a part-black, part-Hispanic child, is sent to live in a small-scale boarding house run by the kind-hearted "Nanny" Crosby and her younger husband Bill.
- DVD 7427
- Law & order.
- In New York City, when a crime is committed, the victims are represented by two distinct yet intertwined forces. There's the police department, represented by the 27th precinct Homicide Detectives. It is their job to investigate the crime, collect evidence, and interview witnesses. Suspects are placed under arrest. The matter is then taken over by the prosecutors of the Manhattan District Attorney's office.
- DVD 12493
- Mother and child
- Three women's lives share a common core. They have all been profoundly affected by adoption. At age fourteen, Karen placed a baby for adoption, and has been haunted ever since by the daughter she never knew. Elizabeth grew up as an adopted child. Even though she is a bright and ambitious lawyer, she is a flinty loner in her personal life. Lucy and her husband are just embarking on the adoption odyssey, hoping for the opportunity to become parents.
- DVD 7949