Films & Other Videos
Films with: Meier, Waltraud
- "I follow a voice within me" a portrait of the singer Waltraud Meier /
- Consists of 2 productions. The first is a biography of Waltraud Meier, which includes footage of the singer in a variety of roles on stage and in rehearsal, plus in conversation backstage, as well as interviews with colleagues. The 2nd production features the singer in a performance of Mahler's Das lied von der Erde, under the musical direction of Semyon Bychkov.
- DVD 3172
- Ring des Nibelungen and "Wagner's dream" : the making of the Ring /
- The four operas of The Ring Cycle. Wagner's dream: "Wagner's dream takes you deep into the artistic and musical challenges of the epic Ring des Nibelungen by Richard Wagner. Visionary director Robert Lepage begins a five-year journey to create the most ambitious staging in Metropolitan Opera history, featuring a 90,000-pound set ("The Machine") conceived to meet Wagner's immense theatrical demands. The film follows heroic singers from rehearsals to performance as they take on many of the most daunting roles in opera. Soprano Deborah Voigt is torn between excitement and fear as she prepares to play the warrior goddess Brünnhilde, while unexpected drama arises as a new tenor, Jay Hunter Morris, steps in as the Ring's hero, Siegfried - days before the production's world premiere. An intimate look at the challenges of live theater and the risks that must be taken, the film chronicles the tremendous creativity and unflagging determination behind this daring attempt to realize Wagner's dream of a perfect Ring."--Container.
- DVD 9699
- Tristan and Isolde in 3 acts /
- "The towering Wagner opera becomes am optimistic work about two people who succeed in finding love."--Container.
- DVD 1446
- Tristan und Isolde
- The opera opens with Tristan taking Isolde (daughter of the King of Ireland) to be married to his uncle, King Marke of Cornwall. The opera unfolds as the story of a love which can only realise itself by abandoning the will to live.
- DVD 5866