Films & Other Videos
Films with: Hopcraft, Arthur
- Bleak House
- "At the court of Chancery, the Jarndyce and Jarndyce case grinds on for years with no end in sight. Entangled in the lawsuit are a growing number of innocent victims: Ada Clare and Richard Carstone, whose inheritance is gradually being devoured by legal costs; Esther Summerson, a child with mysterious parentage; and even Jo, the destitute little crossing-sweeper. As the case staggers onward, yet more people become embroiled in the furious legal battle, including the proud Lady Dedlock, who finds herself persecuted by the menacing lawyer Tulkinghorn, then hunted by the determined Inspector Bucket, one of the first detectives to appear in English literature. A savage, but often comic, indictment of a society that is rotten to the core [...]"--Container.
- DVD 3851
- John le Carré's Tinker, tailor, soldier, spy
- Some say George Smiley is in innocent retirement. Others say he was sacked after the Czech scandal. But all agree that nobody ever leaves the 'Circus' without some unfinished business. Brought out of retirement to trace an enemy infiltrator in the department where he was once the prize employee, the shy and retiring master of espionage moves forwards to investigate and finds himself going backwards over very old ground.
- DVD 6883
- A timid young girl marries a troubled widower only to find her new home is haunted by the memory of Rebecca, the first wife.
- DVD 3587
- Tale of two cities
- In the dock of a British courtroom, French aristocrat Charles Darnay stands accused of spying. The outlook appears grim until som e last-minute help comes from the mysterious Sydney Carton. Darnay goes free and makes plans to marry Lucie Manette. Carton keeps his love for her to himself, yet assures her that he would make the ultimate sacrifice for her. As the characters are swept into the maelstrom of the French Revolution, that long-ago promise will become Carton's last hope of redemption for his own soul.
- DVD 1806