Films & Other Videos
Films with: Held, Wolfgang
- Half the sky
- Take an unforgettable journey with six actress/advocates and New York Times journalist [Nicholas] Kristof to meet some of the most courageous individuals of our time, who are doing extraordinary work to empower women and girls everywhere. These are stories of heartbreaking challenge, dramatic transformation and enduring hope.
- DVD 9464
- Focuses on the charter school experience for African American families. In a country where 58% of African American 4th graders are functionally illiterate, The Lottery uncovers the failures of the traditional public school system and reveals that hundreds of thousands of parents attempt to flee the system every year. Follows four of these families from Harlem and the Bronx who have entered their children in a charter school lottery to attend the Harlem Success Academy, a public charter school founded by Eva Moskowitz, a former New York City councilwoman. Out of thousands of hopefuls, only a small minority will win the chance of a better future. Uncovers a ferocious debate surrounding the education reform movement. Interviews with politicians and educators explain not only the crisis in public education, but also why it is fixable. A call to action to avert a catastrophe in the education of American children, The Lottery makes the case that any child can succeed.
- DVD 9359
- "PARTICLE FEVER gives audiences a front row seat to our generation's most significant and inspiring scientific breakthrough as it happens. The film follows six brilliant scientists during the launch of the Large Hadron Collider, marking the start-up of the biggest and most expensive experiment in the history of the planet. 10,000 scientists from over 100 countries join forces in pursuit of a single goal: to recreate conditions that existed just moments after the Big Bang and find the Higgs boson, potentially explaining the origin of all matter. But our heroes confront an even bigger challenge: have we reached our limit in understanding why we exist? PARTICLE FEVER is a celebration of discovery, revealing the very human stories behind the tale of this epic experiment."--Container.
- DVD 10992
- Path appears
- "A unique and essential 4.5-hour documentary series addressing the roots of gender inequality, the devastating impact of poverty and the ripple effects that follow, including: sex trafficking, teen-pregnancy, gender-based violence, child slavery and the effective solutions being forged to combat them. An edge-of-your-seat dramatic encounter which travels across the United States and to Haiti, Colombia and Kenya."--Container.
- DVD 10922
- Wake up and smell the coffee
- Taking us on a ferocious ride through a cavalcade of colorful characters in his mind, Bogosian skewers pop culture, conformity, religious hypocrisy and human nature itself with razor-sharp wit. Whether he's playing Satan as a modern-day salesman, a Hollywood producer capitalizing on an airplane disaster, a spiritual guru with questionable motives or mocking himself as an obsequious actor auditioning for a part, Bogosian tackles today's relevant, post 9/11 themes with uncompromising honesty.
- DVD 3198