Films & Other Videos
Films with: Siegel, Taggart
- Between two worlds the Hmong shaman in America /
- The Hmong came to America as refugees. By 1984, roughly 90,000 Hmong--a people of small rural villages--were living in American cities. This film briefly examines the lives of three Hmong families who turn to traditional Hmong shamans for healing ceremonies, and for the comfort of their native culture as they struggle to adapt to a new environment. The Hmong's difficulties include alienation, a profound sense of dislocation, evangelical missionaries, and Sudden Unexplained Nocturnal Death Syndrome. The Hmong, caught between two worlds, valiantly struggle to preserve their ancient ways.
- DVD 9133
- Disenchanted forest
- Endangered orphan orangutans are rehabilitated and returned to their rainforest home, where they can participate in orangutan culture, a rich and complex society of elders and peers.
- DVD 8237
- Queen of the sun what are the bees telling us? /
- A documentary on colony collapse disorder, a phenomenon involving the mass disappearance of honeybees from their hives. Includes interviews with beekeepers, scientists and philosophers from around the world including Michael Pollan, Gunther Hauk and Vandana Shiva.
- DVD 8486
- Real dirt on farmer John
- "The epic tale of a maverick Mid western farmer. An outcast in his community, Farmer John bravely stands amidst a failing economy, vicious rumors, and violence. By melding the traditions of family farming with the power of art and free expression, this powerful story of transformation and renewal heralds a resurrection of farming in America"--Container.
- DVD 5399
- Seed : the untold story
- Few things on Earth are as miraculous and vital as seeds, worshiped and treasured since the dawn of humankind. SEED: The Untold Story follows passionate seed keepers protecting our 12,000 year-old food legacy. In the last century, 94% of our seed varieties have disappeared. As biotech chemical companies control the majority of our seeds, farmers, scientists, lawyers, and indigenous seed keepers fight a David and Goliath battle to defend the future of our food. In a harrowing and heartening story, these heroes rekindle a lost connection to our most treasured resource and revive a culture connected to seeds.SEED features Vandana Shiva, Dr. Jane Goodall, Andrew Kimbrell, Winona LaDuke and Raj Patel.
- DVD 12035
- Split horn the life of a Hmong Shaman in America /
- Shows the life and culture of the Thao family, Hmong Americans in Appleton, Wisconsin, and a shaman's struggle to maintain his ancient traditions.
- DVD 10610