Films & Other Videos
Films with: Sherwood, Anthony
- Freedom's land Canada and the underground railroad /
- Told through manuscripts, letters and dramatic reconstructions, this is the story of the incredible exodus of thousands of African-Americans to Canada in the 1850's. Elise Harding-Davis, Curator at the North American Black Historical Museum, and Dr. Afua Cooper, author and historian, are among the experts providing perspective. Based largely on the journal of Henry Bibb. Henry was to become the first former slave to publish a newspaper in Canada.
- DVD 2178
- Honour before glory
- Tells the story of Canada's only all-black battalion. Illustrates how this unique battalion survived hatred and discrimination during World War I. Combines archival film footage, personal interviews and dramatizations.
- DVD 12347
- Women's prisons old problems and new solutions /
- "This program goes inside three women's prisons in the U.S. and Canada, contrasting old and new correctional philosophies. Key differences between the countries' systems are noted, such as the level of tolerance for sexual relationships between inmates. Interviews with the women poignantly highlight their struggles with drugs, suicide, motherhood, physical and sexual abuse. The warden of the Kentucky Correctional Institute for Women, the District Director of the Burnaby Correctional Centre for Women in British Columbia, and other prison officials discuss giving a second chance to women who often never had a first"--Container.
- DVD 2435