Films & Other Videos
Films with: Seldes, Marian
- Ballets Russes
- Presents an oral history of the Ballets Russes from the point of view of its many surviving performers. Dancers discuss working with George Balanchine. Includes performance footage.
- DVD 4674
- If these walls could talk.
- Set in different decades in the same house, these stories of three lesbian couples each reflect a specific concern. In 1961, Abby and Edith, two retired schoolteachers, lead a quiet life. Abby has a stroke and dies, and her nephew and his wife come for the funeral and to sort and sell Abby's things, unaware that she and Edith were a lifelong couple. In 1972, four college-age lesbians share the house. They have problems with the campus feminism group, and Linda is drawn to Amy a very butch lesbian who wears a men's clothing and drives a motorcycle. How can a feminist fall for a lesbian who acts like and dresses like a man? By 2000, long-term couple Fran and Kal want to have a child, and their quest leads from proposing sperm donation to a gay couple they know, to the horror of shopping for sperm on the Internet.
- DVD 7138
- Proteus a nineteenth century vision /
- Through the works of biologist and philosopher Ernst Haeckel, the role of the sea as the "outer space" of his time is explored. Based almost entirely on 19th-century scientific illustrations, paintings, and photographs brought to life through innovative animation, Proteus explores the undersea world through a complex tapestry of biology, oceanography, scientific history, poetry and myth.
- DVD 2543
- Visitor /
- Walter Vale is a widower who teaches economics at a Connecticut university. He lives alone and is no longer motivated by his work. In New York to present a paper at a conference, he goes to the apartment that he has not visited in some time, but has kept since his wife was alive, only to discover a young couple living there. Despite their great cultural differences, Walter befriends Tarek, a Syrian citizen and drummer, and gradually builds a friendship with Esi, his girlfriend from Senegal. One day, when returning from Central Park with Walter, Tarek is arrested for jumping a stuck subway turnstile, despite the fact that he had paid. The police discover he does not have legal papers and transfer him to an immigrant detention center in Queens. Feeling responsible for and connected to Tarek, Walter decides to stay in New York to help and support him. Not hearing from her son, Tarek's mother arrives from Michigan to find out why, and she and Walter support one another while they attempt to free Tarek.
- DVD 5977