Films & Other Videos
Films with: Radford, Michael
- A man and a woman try desperately to escape the totalitarian regime they live in that bans nearly all free-thinking and love itself. Based on the book by George Orwell. This is the version released in 1984.
- DVD 13125
- Nineteen eighty-four
- "Winston Smith (Hurt) endures a squalid existence in totalitarian Oceania under the constant surveillance of Big Brother. But his life takes a horrifying turn when he begins a forbidden love affair and commits the crime of independent thought. Sent to the chillingly labeled 'Ministry of Love, ' he is placed at the mercy of O'Brien (Burton), a coolly treacherous leader determined to control his thoughts ... and crush his soul"--Container.
- DVD 7874
- Postino The postman /
- The postman, Mario, enlists the aid of the poet Pablo Neruda to conquer the heart of the beautiful Beatrice.
- DVD 744
- Ten minutes older.
- "With complete creative freedom, eight internationally renowned directors bring their own unique interpretation of 'time' to the screen ... [This programme] takes in all human experience: birth, death, love, sex, the drama of the moment, history and ancient myth; and a great variety of locations from the jungles of South America to the streets of New York. Combined together in a feature film, their individual work gains new meangins and presents an intriguing and exciting experience for all film-lovers"--Container.
- DVD 4475
- White mischief
- Adaptation of the book by James Fox, based on a true story, which sportrays life in British Colonial Africa between the wars. Set in Nairobi in 1940, its plot elements are based on an actual unsolved murder. Newly-arrived Diana (Greta Scacchi) means to leave her husband (Joss Ackland) for Erroll (Charles Dance), till Erroll is murdered.
- DVD 11684
- William Shakespeare's The merchant of Venice
- Shylock has grown wealthy through money-lending, the only profession open to Jewish businessmen of the time, but faces indignity and danger when he ventures beyond the Jewish quarter. In the same city, though in a different world, lives Antonio, a Christian merchant beset by worry over the fate of his trading vessels and his increasing isolation from his best friend Bassanio. The younger man has fallen in love with the beautiful Portia, and seeks to go abroad to win her hand. When Antonio takes a loan from Shylock, a bond is sealed, the risk of which is one pound of Antonio's flesh. So when Antonio goes into debt to Shylock, the angst-ridden moneylender demands a pound of his flesh.
- DVD 3695