Films & Other Videos
Films with: Navarro, Bertha
- An aging antique dealer, Jesus Gris, happens upon an elegant mechanized scarab. When opened, it painfully stabs whomever is holding it, but the wound brings youthful vigor and a vampire's need for blood. The device is relentlessly pursued by a dying tycoon, Dieter de la Guardia, whose nephew Angel, reluctant to see his uncle live a moment longer, must still do the old man's bidding. Meanwhile, Gris's desires endanger his own graddaughter, Aurora.
- DVD 4895
- In the darkness, a clock ticks. Aging antique dealer Jesús Gris marks his time with his granddaughter Aurora, and his wife Mercedes. Señor Gris comes to possess, quite accidentally, the ancient Cronos device. The invention of a sixteenth century alchemist who fled to Mexico during the Spanish Inquisition, it grants eternal life and youthful vigor to the user. The only drawbacks are marble white skin that burns under sunlight and an insatiable thirst for human blood. Elsewhere in the city, a dying industrialist obtains the alchemist's journal, learns of the device, and imports his American nephew to track down and obtain the device, by force if necessary. Señor Gris can grasp the gift of time, but the cost is high. Can he keep his soul intact faced with such great temptation, or will he be overcome?
- DVD 13008
- Crónicas Chronicles /
- The anchor of a popular news show flies to a small town in Ecuador to cover a story about a serial child killer. He saves a man after the town tries to lynch him. The man offers information about the case in exchange for a story about his innocence.
- DVD 4904
- Espinazo del diablo Devil's backbone /
- "One of the most personal film by Guillermo del Toro ... is also among his most frightening and emotionally layered. Set during the final week of the Spanish Civil War, it tells the tale of a twelve-year-old boy who, after his freedom-fighting father is killed, is sent to a haunted rural orphanage full of terrible secrets. Del Toro expertly combines gothic ghost story, murder mystery, and historical melodrama in a stylish melange that, like his later Pan's Labyrinth, reminds us the scariest monsters are often the human ones"--Container.
- DVD 13089
- Laberinto del fauno Pan's labyrinth /
- Set in 1944 Spain, against the backdrop of the anti-Franco guerrilla warfare. When young Ofelia and her mother go to live with her new stepfather on a rural military outpost, she finds herself in a world of unimaginable cruelty. Soon Ofelia finds the creatures of her imagination in which she used to escape have become a reality and she must battle them to save both her mother and herself. In the terrifying battle that ensues, Ofelia soon learns that innocence has a power that evil cannot imagine.
- DVD 704