Films & Other Videos
Films with: Julien, Isaac
- BaadAssss cinema a bold look at 70's blaxploitation films /
- "In this groundbreaking documentary from the Independent Film channel, filmmaker Isaac Julien takes us back to the early 70s and the explosion of blaxploitation films, today one of American cinema's most beloved cult genres. The original guilty pleasure, these fun and energetic films had all the action, comedy, sex and groovy music you could want in two hours worth of entertainment."--Container.
- DVD 2623
- Darker side of black
- Gangsta chic, violence and nihilism, the hard edge of rap and reggae increasingly dominates the image of black popular culture. This film investigates the issues raised by the genre, such as ritualized machismo, misogyny, attitudes towards homosexuality and religion, and gun glorification. Filmed in dance halls, hip hop clubs, and using interviews and music video clips, film takes us to London, Jamaica and the U.S. to examine the "darker" side of contemporary black music.
- DVD 8913
- Frantz Fanon black skin, white mask /
- Explores one the of most influential theorists of the anti-colonial movement, as it follows Fanon from his birth in 1925 on the French island of Martinique through his medical training in France, then to Algeria where he joined the liberation struggle.
- DVD 6783
- Looking for Langston a meditation on Langston Hughes (1902-1907) and the Harlem Ranaissance : with the poetry of Essex Hemphill and Bruce Nugent (1906
- A tribute to Langston Hughes, this film attempts to reclaim him as an important black gay voice in American culture.
- DVD 5853