Films & Other Videos
Films with: Jaffrey, Saeed
- Hullabaloo over Georgie and Bonnie's pictures
- In India, a young Maharaja, Georgie, and his sister, Bonnie, possess a collection of Indian miniature paintings. Two art collectors try to scam the artwork out of the Maharaja's hands while the collection's curator works both sides against each other.
- DVD 3392
- My beautiful laundrette
- Set in the Pakistani community in south London, the film focuses on two youths-- Johnny, a working-class white, and Omar, a Pakistani. Together they operate a laundrette, which Omar inherits from his uncle. While Johnny looks upon the laundrette as a life line on which to salvage his self-respect, Omar sees it as just the beginning step on the road to riches.
- DVD 4380
- Shatranj ke khilari Chess players /
- This drama about colonialism and indigenous culture is set in 1856 at the court of Wajid Ali Shah in Lucknow, the capital of Oudh. Features two parallel narratives. The first shows rich landowners Meer and Mirza pour every ounce of passion into a never-ending game of chess. Without thinking of their responsibilities to their families and the political uprising in the kingdom, the two men just keep playing. The second narrative dramatises the conflict between Wajid Ali Shah and General James Outram who represents Lord Dalhousie's treacherously implemented annexation policies. Wajid Ali is shown as a politically weak figure who surrenders to the British without a fight.
- DVD 4252