Films & Other Videos
Films with: Huston, John
- African Queen
- Thrown together at the outset of World War I, the spinster sister of a British missionary and the derelict captain of the launch, The African Queen, determine to pilot the boat down an unchartered river in an effort to destroy a German gunboat which prevents invasion by British forces. Setting: German East Africa in 1914.
- DVD 4776
- American Film Institute salute to John Huston
- A salute from Lauren Bacall, Orson Welles, Michael Caine, Jack Nicholson and others to the director of "Key Largo", "The Maltese falcon", "Moulin Rouge", "The treasure of Sierra Madre" and others.
- DVD 11204
- The story of the comic strip character Little Orphan Annie, who is adopted by billionaire "Daddy" Warbucks.
- DVD 2895
- Asphalt jungle
- An aging criminal is released from prison and decides to assemble the old gang to go on one last perfect heist.
- DVD 7529
- "The plot is a labyrinth of successive revelations having to do with Los Angeles water reserves, land rights, fraud and intra-family hanky-panky, climaxing in Los Angeles's Chinatown on a street that seems no more mysterious than Flatbush Avenue."--Vincent Canby, New York times.
- DVD 37
- Details a Christmas dinner at the house of three spinster musician sisters in 1904 Dublin, attended by friends and family. Among the visitors are the sisters' nephew Gabriel Conroy and his wife Gretta. The evening's reminiscences bring up melancholy memories for Gretta about her first, long-lost love when she was a girl in rural Galway. Her recounting of this tragic love to Gabriel brings him to an epiphany: he learns the difference between mere existence and living.
- DVD 6868
- Fat city
- Set in Stockton, a story of two boxers, one who is at the end of his career and the other who is just begining to learn to fight.
- DVD 12008
- High Sierra
- A gangster's hard-boiled persona finds itself at war with his compassionate side, a side that will ultimately be his downfall.
- DVD 8524
- Humphrey Bogart
- Beat the devil is an offbeat tale of adventure and suspense involving passengers on a steamer who attempt to outfox each other for illegal control of a parcel of land believed to be rich with uranium deposits. Humphrey Bogart on film provides a glimpse into the unique life of the quintessential Hollywood legend.
- DVD 1021
- Jhon Huston's wise blood
- U.S. Army war veteran Hazel Motes may not be a believing Christian, but he somehow makes observations about the state of a run-down country church and understands that there are ridiculous frauds on the streets. When a cab driver insists he looks like a preacher in his new hat, Hazel takes on the part. He starts his own new Church of Truth, without the crucified Jesus. His first disciple is an 18-year old simpleton with a 'prophetic gift.'
- DVD 9812
- Key Largo
- A disillusioned returning World War II veteran has lost the will to fight ... until he arrives at a rundown hotel in Key Largo. There a mobster holes up against a raging storm, holding the veteran, the hotel owner and the owner's widowed daughter-in-law at gunpoint.
- DVD 267
- Maltese falcon
- After the death of his partner, San Francisco private eye Sam Spade is dragged into a quest for a priceless statuette.
- DVD 2112
- Following her divorce, a lonely young woman befriends a couple of down-on-their-luck cowboys. Both men desire her, but she longs for only one, who represents for her the freedom she's never had. Teaming up with a weather- beaten rodeo rider, the foursome goes into the mountains on a quest for rare and elusive wild horses. There they come to realize that, for all their differences, they share fundamentally similar needs and desires.
- DVD 1710
- Moby Dick
- Consumed by an insane rage, Captain Ahab has but one purpose in life-- revenge on the great white whale who maimed and disfigured him.
- DVD 1502
- Night of the iguana
- In a remote Mexican seacoast town, a fallen Episcopal priest struggles to pull his shattered life together. Three women, an earthy hotel owner, an ethereal artist and a hot-eyed willful teenager can help save him. Or destroy him.
- DVD 2018
- Prizzi's honor
- Charley Partanna is a hit-man who works for the Prizzis, one of the richest crime syndicate families in the country. Unbeknownst to Charley, the Prizzis just hired Irene Walker, a free-lance killer, to eliminate someone who double-crossed them. When Irene and Charley fall in love their jobs become complicated, especially when each is given a contract that neither can go through with.
- DVD 472
- Red badge of courage
- The story of Henry Fleming and his grappling with fear and courage as a Union Army recruit during the Civil War.
- DVD 2420
- Reflections in a golden eye
- Major Weldon Penderton, a repressed homosexual whose career is languishing in the monotony of postwar Georgia, becomes obsessed with a private who is, in turn, obsessed with Penderton's frustrated and sensual wife Leonora.
- DVD 5901
- Rudyard Kipling's The man who would be king
- Danny Dravot and Peachy Carnehan leave 19th century India and set out for the isolated, primitive land of Kafiristan, whose people haven't seen an outsider in hundreds of years. Peachy becomes lord of the kingdom's treasury, a huge chamber spilling over with limitless gold and priceless rare jewels. Danny is first crowned king, then, declared a god.
- DVD 424
- Treasure of the Sierra Madre
- Two down-and-out Americans in Mexico meet a grizzled old prospector who piques their interest with stories of his gold-hunting experiences. The Americans gather a stake and set off with the old prospector in search of fortune.
- DVD 3492
- Under the volcano
- Withering from alcoholism, British consul Geoffrey Firmin stumbles through a small Mexican village amidst the Day of the Dead fiesta, attempting to reconnect with his estranged wife, but only further alienating himself.
- DVD 5737
- Wind and the lion
- In turn-of-the century Morocco, a sheik kidnaps a feisty American woman and her children, holding them hostage until President Roosevelt sends in the troops to free them.
- DVD 2754
- WWII, the ultimate collection 30 films.
- A collection of documentaries on World War II.
- DVD 1044