Films & Other Videos
Films with: Ferrari, Michelle
- Documentary about Thomas Edison that explores the complex alchemy that accounts for the enduring celebrity of America's most famous inventor. It offers new perspectives on the man and his milieu, and illuminates not only the true nature of invention, but its role in turn-of-the-century America's rush into the future.
- DVD 11046
- Eugenics crusade
- Presents the story of the eugenics movement in the U.S., tracing its evolution from a force for human progress through the study of genetics to an anti-humanistic campaign for state-sponsored sterilization and the closing of the country's borders to peoples believed by some to be genetically inferior.
- DVD 13139
- Half the sky
- Take an unforgettable journey with six actress/advocates and New York Times journalist [Nicholas] Kristof to meet some of the most courageous individuals of our time, who are doing extraordinary work to empower women and girls everywhere. These are stories of heartbreaking challenge, dramatic transformation and enduring hope.
- DVD 9464
- Miss America
- Tracking the country's oldest beauty contest - from its inception in 1921 as a local seaside pageant to its heyday as one of the country's most popular events - Miss America paints a vivid picture of an institution that has come to reveal much about a changing nation. Combining rare archival footage, with a host of intimate interviews with distinguished commentators including Gloria Steinem, Margaret Cho, Isaac Mizrahi, former contestants and behind-the-scenes footage and photographs, the film reveals why some women took part in the fledgling event and why others briefly rejected it, how the pageant became a battle ground and a barometer for the changing position of women in society."--Container.
- DVD 11690
- Reporting America at war a film /
- Explores the role of American journalists in the pivotal conflicts of the 20th century--and beyond.
- DVD 2606
- One hundred years after the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment, it tells the dramatic culmination story of the hard-fought campaign waged by American women for the right to vote, a transformative cultural and political movement that resulted in the largest expansion of voting rights in US history.
- DVD 13353