Films & Other Videos
Films with: Duvivier, Julien
- Don Camillo and Il ritorno di Don Camillo
- Don Camillo: Don Camillo and Peppone once fought alongside one another, against the Fascists. Now, in their unnamed Po Valley town, priest Don Camillo and local communist leader Peppone fight each other. Don Camillo preaches fiery sermons and occasionally breaks a few heads, while Peppone a plain man of conscience who sincerely believes in his ideology. All the while, Don Camillo carries on the most crucial battle of all: the struggle within himself to love and care for those whose politics he opposes. The return of Don Camillo: Don Camillo and Peppone once fought alongside one another, against the Fascists. Now, in their unnamed Po Valley town, priest Don Camillo and local Communist Mayor Peppone fight each other. Because of his bad behavior, Don Camillo is sent to a remote parish in the mountains. Soon, however, all the villagers--Peppone included--realize that the priest is indispensable, and they demand his return. Don Camillo returns to work side by side with Mayor, as a flood wreaks havoc in the village.
- DVD 8692
- "Proud, eccentric, and antisocial, Monsieur Hire (Michel Simon) has always kept to himself. But after a woman turns up dead in the Paris suburb where he lives, he feels drawn to a pretty young newcomer to town (Viviane Romance), discovers that his neighbors are only too ready to suspect the worst of him, and is framed for the murder. Based on a novel by Georges Simenon, Julien Duvivier's first film after his return to France from Hollywood finds the acclaimed poetic realist applying his consummate craft to darker, moodier ends. Propelled by its two deeply nuanced lead performances, the tensely noirish Panique exposes the dangers of the knives-out mob mentality, delivering as well a pointed allegory for the behavior of Duvivier's countrymen during the war"--Container.
- DVD 12955
- Pépé le Moko
- The notorious Pépé le Moko is a wanted man--women long for him, rivals hope to destroy him and the law is breathing down his neck at every turn. On the lam in the Casbah of Algiers, Pépé is safe from the police until a Parisian playgirl compels him to risk his life and leave its confines once and for all.
- DVD 2207
- Tolstoy's Anna Karenina
- Story of passion and family conflict set in 19th century upper-class Russia in which the wife of an aristocrat falls in love with a dashing calvary officer.
- DVD 965