Films & Other Videos
Films with: Cartlidge, Katrin
- Before the rain (a tale in three parts) /
- Told in three parts, a mysterious incident in the Macedonian mountains blows out of proportion, eventually threatening a full-blown civil war. A silent young monk offers protection to an ethnic Albanian girl who is suspected of murder. A London photojournalist who is pregnant, needs to deal with her estranged husband and desires a permanence with her lover. Her lover is a prize-winning Macedonian photographer, just back from Bosnia, who finds himself changed by the violence. Linked by events and explores the uncompromising nature of war.
- DVD 6392
- Breaking the waves
- Bess, a pious, young Scottish woman, prays to God to send her husband, Jan, home from his job on an offshore oil rig. When an accident sends him home paralyzed, she's filled with guilt and submits to his wish that she take on other lovers, convinced that this will aid in his recovery.
- DVD 957
- Career girls
- "Two unlikely college roommates become close friends amidst a dizying whirl of books, booze and boyfriends. Reunited six years after graduation, Annie and Hannah take a funny, poignant look at the girls they were and the women they have become"--Container.
- DVD 4555
- Cherry orchard
- Madame Ranevskaya returns to her decaying estate in pre-Revolutionary Russia after an exile in Paris. The estate and its beloved cherry orchard are threatened by Ranevskaya's financial problems, and no one seems able to do anything about it.
- DVD 2224
- A charming, eloquent, and vicious drifter on the lam in London rejects those who would care for him and hurls himself into a nocturnal odyssey through the city, colliding with a succession of desperate and dispossessed people and scorching everyone in his path.
- DVD 6224
- No man's land
- Set during the height of the Bosnian War in 1993, a group of Bosnian soldiers are advancing on Serb territory under the cover of a foggy night. At daybreak, the fog lifts, and the Serbs open fire. Soon there is only one Bosnian survivor because he was able to dive into a trench in no man's land. He then watches as two Serbian soldiers use the body of a fallen Bosnian to bait a land mine. He fires on them, killing one, and taking the second hostage. Now both are alone and equally armed, so they are forced to share a wary trust as they try to attract help from either side.
- DVD 1296