Films & Other Videos
Films with: Balzac, Honoré de
- Belle noiseuse
- An intimately epic exploration of the convergence between artistry and eroticism. Edouard Frenhofer is a reclusive painter living in the French countryside with his wife. Their lives are radically upended with the arrival of a younger artist and his girlfriend, who becomes the muse that awakens Edouard's fading passions. Rivette creates a layered character study, while also offering an immersive meditation on the creative process.
- DVD 13437
- Cousin Bette
- Compelled to live under the condescending patronage of her socially superior relatives, the Huot family, Cousin Bette's energies are directed towards their destruction.
- DVD 1424
- Duchesse de Langeais Duchess of Langeais /
- "In Majorca, in 1823, a French general, Armand de Montriveau, overhears a cloistered nun singing in a chapel; he insists on speaking to her. She is Antoinette, for five years he has searched for her. Flash back to their meeting in Paris, he recently returned from Africa, she married and part of the highest society. She flirts with him, and soon he's captivated. His behavior is possessive, insistent. Then, it is her turn to become obsessed. Letters, balls, scandal, a kidnapping, and an ultimatum bring her to the cloister and him to melancholy"--IMdB.
- DVD 7770
- Out 1
- Out 1: four separate stories are intercut and eventually intermix involving the members of two theatrical troupes, stolen letters, blackmail, etc. The mysteries of Paris : Jacques Rivette's Out 1 revisited: a feature-length documentary by Robert Fischer and Wilfried Reichart, containing interviews with actors Bulle Ogier, Michael Lonsdale and Hermine Karagheuz, cinematographer Pierre-William Glenn, assistant director Jean-François Stévenin and producer Stéphane Tchalgadjieff, as well as rare archival interviews with actors Jacques Doniol-Valcroze and Michel Delahaye, and director Jacques Rivette.
- DVD 11715