Hours Today: 12/22/14
8 am - 4:30 pm | see all hours

Ask a Librarian

Celebrate the Centennial of the Green Mountain Club

Bringing roofing in to Glen Ellen Lodge

with

Pete Antos-Ketcham, Green Mountain Club

Daniel DeSanto, Bailey/Howe Library, UVM

John Abbott, Outdoor Programs, UVM

April 22, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Special Collections Reading Room, Bailey/Howe Library, UVM

The Green Mountain Club (GMC), formed in 1910, is the founder and maintainer of Vermont’s Long Trail, the country’s oldest long-distance hiking trail.  Throughout the GMC’s history, University of Vermont (UVM) staff and faculty have played instrumental roles in developing the Long Trail and advancing the GMC’s mission.

William Monroe, a summer instructor at UVM in the 1910s, was responsible for creating the Monroe Skyline portion of the Long Trail.  Herbert W. Congdon, official photographer of UVM’s Old Buildings Project, helped map the Long Trail and served as GMC president.  Roy Buchanan, an electrical engineering professor, headed up the Long Trail Patrol from 1932 to 1967.  In recent decades, the University has worked closely with the GMC and the State of Vermont to protect and restore the alpine meadows on the summit of Mt. Mansfield, which UVM owns.  Special Collections holds the papers of GMC founder Theron Dean and Herbert Congdon, as well as a rich collection of GMC correspondence from 1916-1919.

To celebrate the GMC centennial, Special Collections will host a presentation highlighting the history of the GMC/Long Trail and two current UVM connections.  Pete Antos-Ketcham will provide an overview of the first hundred years of the GMC and the Long Trail.  Daniel DeSanto will talk about a new digital collection of lantern slides that document trail building and maintenance between 1910 and 1930 (available at http://cdi.uvm.edu/).  John Abbott will speak about the current role UVM students play in the maintenance of the Long Trail.

Refreshments will be served. For more information, call 656-2138 or e-mail  uvmsc@uvm.edu. Parking is available at the visitor parking lot on College St.

Bookmark and Share

Comments are closed.