Hours Today: 10/20/14
8 am - Midnight | see all hours
Ask a Librarian
Last year we conducted a survey, asking library users to tell us what they thought of our services, building, collections, and discovery tools.
You gave us lots to work on, and a few very clear messages – the Bailey/Howe Library has been too loud for many of you to study in effectively, and cell phone usage throughout the building hasn’t helped.
We’ve clarified policies for Bailey/Howe and ask you to help by observing these “Expectations of Library Patron Behavior.”
Expectations of Library Patron Behavior
• The Bailey/Howe Library is a place for UVM students, faculty, and staff, and for the community-at-large to perform research and study. Patrons will behave in a respectful manner, toward library staff and faculty, and toward one another. Patrons will refrain from behavior which proves unsafe or disruptive to the study environment.
• Food and drink permitted, except in Special Collections and Maps. Please keep all food and drink away from contact with library materials, computers, and audio-visual equipment. If food and/or drink is causing a distraction, we will ask you to remove it to the Cybercafé.
• Cell phones must be turned to vibrate upon entering the building. Cell phone conversations are permitted in the Cyber Café, the lobby, or outside the library.
• The second and third floors are designated for quiet study: any communication will happen in a hushed tone, and prolonged conversations must be moved to the first floor. Cell phones must be turned to vibrate and cell phone use is prohibited on these floors. Calls may be taken to the Cyber Café, the lobby, or outside the library.
• For their safety, children must be supervised.
• No bicycles are permitted inside the building.
• Clearly identified service animals only are permitted. If animals are left unattended outside the library building, library staff will notify police services.
• Shirt and shoes are required.
• Patron behavior must conform to additional University of Vermont policies, such as Facilities and Ground Use and Code of Students Rights and Responsibilities, available at: http://www.uvm.edu/~uvmppg/ppg/
When a library patron has violated these expectations, the library reserves the right to ask the patron to leave, or we will call campus security.