3-4 strips of bacon or pancetta, cut into small cubes
4-5 tablespoons maple syrup
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
pinch of salt
3/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, lightly saute bacon or pancetta. Once they have slightly browned, take off the heat and add maple syrup. Let this cool in the saucepan or in a separate bowl.
- In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and a small pinch of salt (unless you use pancetta, in which case do not add salt.) Slowly pour heavy cream in a steady stream over the dry ingredients, mixing with a fork as you pour. Mix just until it has formed clumps. Add the cooled maple and bacon, and stir just until incorporated. (You may have to add a few tablespoons of extra flour.)
- Roll the dough out onto a floured surface. Be careful not to handle the dough or over mix it. Roll it to about 1/4 of an inch, and then slice into triangles or use a cookie cutter to form small circles. Keep these in the fridge until you are ready to put them in the oven.
- Place the biscuits on a buttered sheet pan. Brush the top with maple. Bake only 5-6 minutes, or until just golden brown.
contributed by Frances Cannon (Maple Cook-Off 2010)