Featured Resource -
2007 No. 104
What is PsycINFO?
PsycINFO is an electronic bibliographic
database that provides abstracts and citations to the scholarly literature in
the behavioral sciences and mental health.
In addition to covering journals in
psychiatry and psychology, PsycINFO covers journals in many health-related
fields including pharmacology, nursing, rehabilitation, health
administration, and epidemiology.
Articles from these journals dealing with the behavioral causes and effects of physical disorders, behavioral
treatments for physical illness, and behavioral aspects of care are selected
PsycINFO also includes articles
about professional issues for health and mental-health personnel including
training, ethics, and standards.
PsycINFO contains ...
- nearly 2.3 million records,
- in over 27 languages,
- dating from the 1890s to the present,
- with weekly updates.
- Publications types include:
- journal articles
- book chapters
- web sites
- book reviews
- More than 2,150 journal titles are
indexed by PsycINFO.
- 98% of these journal titles are peer-reviewed.
- Journals are accepted for coverage
if archival, scholarly, peer-reviewed, and regularly published, and provide
titles, abstracts, and keywords in the English language.
- Journal records comprise 78% of the
- PsycINFO provides cover-to-cover
coverage of 1,100 titles.
- PsycINFO indexes books and book
chapters from authored and edited works,
- that are written in the English language and
- and are scholarly,
professional or research-based, with a psychological relevance.
Access to PsycINFO
- PsycINFO is available at UVM
through CSA, a worldwide information
company that specializes in publishing and distributing bibliographic and
full-text databases and journals.
- CSA Illumina is a simple,
user-friendly interface that is ideal for novice searchers, while offering
powerful options for users who require them.
- To begin a PsycINFO search, go to Dana Medical Library's homepage.
- Click on the link for PsycINFO under Databases & E-Books.
- To access PsycINFO from off-campus, you must be a UVM or University of Vermont Medical Center faculty,
staff, or student. See the Connect from Off-Campus link on the Dana Medical Library homepage for details.
- Unaffiliated patrons may use PsycINFO on site at Dana Medical
Perform a PsycINFO search
- Enter a word or phrase representing first concept into
first box of first row. Enter commonly used synonyms for that concept
into 2nd and 3rd boxes on that row.
- Use the pull-down box for that row to restrict search
to specific field such as author, title, journal, abstract, or descriptor,
or search for the term Anywhere.
- Enter word or phrase representing second concept and
its synonyms into boxes on second row. Select field from drop down
box, or search Anywhere.
- Repeat for third concept.
- Chose limits from the following options:
- publication type
- age group
- target audience
- supplemental data
- Click Search.
- Click on tabs to view results of specific publication
type, or view all Publication Types.
- Results are displayed in Short format, as depicted
- Additional information is available by clicking on
the title or View Record. Full PsycINFO records include:
- Descriptors from the Thesaurus of Psychological
- Classification categories
- Tests and measures used in the research
- Table of Contents (books)
- Links to the full article when available
- Cited references for records from 2001+
- Citing articles
- and more.
- An excerpt of a typical record is shown below.
- Mark records you wish to retain for later action.
- Click on Save/Print/Email (located under Publication
Types tabs) to take desired actions.
- Click on Check Local Holdings to access full-text of
- Capability for saving searches and creating auto
- QuickBib for citation management
For more information about performing a search in
PsycINFO or using any other library resource,
- Contact a reference librarian at Dana Medical Library
by phone at 656-2201 or email at
- Stop by the reference desk at Dana Medical Library Mon-Friday 10:00 am
- 4:00 pm for personal