Featured Resource -
2006 No. 101
What is FIRSTConsult?
FIRSTConsult is a web and PDA-based clinical information
system that provides evidence-based guidance for use at the point of care.
FIRSTConsult is designed to provide clear, concise information for
use at the bedside, on rounds, in the emergency department, and in
the clinic. It is brought to you by Elsevier, a leading publisher of
health and medical information products, including MDConsult.
FIRSTConsult is a licensed product made available to patrons at UVM and FAHC
through Dana Medical Library.
FIRSTConsult offers clinical summaries of disease-specific topics via four
simple search tools:
- Interactive Differential Diagnosis, arranged by chief complaint
- Medical Topics categorized by specialty as well as by A to Z
index, presented in outline form, updated weekly
- Patient Education handouts in easy to understand Q & A
format, in both English and Spanish
- Surgical and diagnostic Procedures with video clips, animation,
How do I access FIRSTConsult?
- Go to Dana Medical Library's homepage (http://library.uvm.edu/dana).
- Click on the link for FIRSTConsult under Databases & E-Books.
- To access FIRSTConsult from off-campus, you must be a University
of Vermont (UVM) or Fletcher Allen Health Care (FAHC) faculty,
staff or student. See Connect from Off-Campus (http://library.uvm.edu/dana/guides/connect/index.html)
on the Dana Medical Library website for details.
- Unaffiliated patrons may use FIRSTConsult on site at Dana Medical
How do I search FIRSTConsult?
- Click on one of the tabs, and search the A to Z list. Under
Medical Topics, Patient Education, and Procedures, you may also select a
topic from the specialty list.
- Alternatively, you may enter a word or phrase directly into the top
search box. Select a section to search in, or search across all
Special features of FIRSTConsult
- Connects to MDConsult with its over 50 medical textbooks and over
50 respected journals, including the Clinics of North America
- Content available on a PDA
- You'll need to sign up for a free individual account and then
download the POCKETConsult software. See the website for details.
- Drug information provided via Mosby's Drug Consult
- Evidence summarized from the Cochrane Database of
Systematic Reviews, Clinical Evidence, and the National Guideline
- Updates and medical news items
For further information
- Contact a librarian at Dana Medical Library at 656-2201 or email
- Stop in at the library during regular business hours for personal