Films & Other Videos
Films with: Wiéner, Jean
- Au hasard Balthazar Balthazar /
- Robert Bresson's masterpiece follows a much-abused donkey, Balthazar, whose life strangely parallels that of his owner, Marie. A beast of burden suffering the sins of man, Balthazar nevertheless nobly accepts his fate.
- DVD 4702
- Crime de Monsieur Lange
- When Batala, the owner of a small publishing company, disappears with the firm's capital, the employees band together to take over the company and collectively publish a series of comic books written by Monsieur Lange, one of the employees. Based on the adventures of a mythical cowboy, "Arizona Jim," the comic books are instant best sellers, and the cooperative continues its great success by producing films based on the character of "Arizona Jim." However, the infamous Batala, who is considered dead, reappears.
- DVD 12289
- "Proud, eccentric, and antisocial, Monsieur Hire (Michel Simon) has always kept to himself. But after a woman turns up dead in the Paris suburb where he lives, he feels drawn to a pretty young newcomer to town (Viviane Romance), discovers that his neighbors are only too ready to suspect the worst of him, and is framed for the murder. Based on a novel by Georges Simenon, Julien Duvivier's first film after his return to France from Hollywood finds the acclaimed poetic realist applying his consummate craft to darker, moodier ends. Propelled by its two deeply nuanced lead performances, the tensely noirish Panique exposes the dangers of the knives-out mob mentality, delivering as well a pointed allegory for the behavior of Duvivier's countrymen during the war"--Container.
- DVD 12955
- Touchez pas au grisbi Hands off the loot /
- Having pulled off the heist of a lifetime, Max looks forward to spending his remaining days relaxing with his beautiful young girlfriend. But when Riton, Max's hapless partner and best friend, lets word of the loot slip to loose-lipped, two-timing Josy, Max is reluctantly drawn back into the underworld. Riton gets kidnapped by a mob boss in the hopes that there will be an exchange for the money, but nothing turns out as anyone has it planned.
- DVD 3414