Films & Other Videos
Films with: West, Samuel
- The remarkable and tragic story of one of the 20th century's most important people. Alan Turing set in motion the computer age and his World War II codebreaking helped turn the tide of the Second World War. Instead of receiving accolades, he faced terrible persecution. In 1952, the British Government forced him to undergo chemical castration as punishment for his homosexuality. In despair, Turing committed suicide. He was only 41 years old.
- DVD 10483
- Foyle's war.
- Set in 1941, as World War II rages over Europe, Michael Kitchen stars as detective Christopher Foyle, whose loyalties are put to the test as his investigations uncover unpleasant truths that powerful people would rather keep hidden.
- DVD 9416
- Hollow crown.
- The concluding cycle of The Hollow Crown, subtitled The Wars of the Roses. Henry VI, Parts I and II and Richard III tell the story of an exceptionally turbulent period in British history. These exhilarating and emotionally charged films feature some of Shakespeare's most eloquent and powerful language.
- DVD 11746
- Korngold between two worlds ; a portrait and concert.
- A child prodigy in Habsburg Vienna, Korngold was a musical sensation in Europe during the 1920's. Later, stranded in America by the rise of fascism, he found new fame as the inventor of the lush Hollywood film score. Clips from films such as the Errol Flynn swashbuckers Robin Hood and The Sea Hawk are included. The videodisc includes a concert featuring a selection of Korngold's concertos for cello and violin and extracts from his early piano works.
- DVD 3170
- Mr. Selfridge.
- Much has changed since Selfridges first opened its doors. Five years later, Europe is on the brink of war and London is enjoying one last defiant period of decadence. Mr. Selfridge now has his sights set on joining the establishment and rebuilding his family life. Tensions are also running high on the shop floor as Agnes is back from Paris, chic and successful. Not everyone is thrilled by her newfound confidence and by the reappearance of her old ally Henri Leclair, returned from America.
- DVD 10400