Films & Other Videos
Films with: Tone, Franchot
- Dark waters
- A psychological thriller about a nervous young heiress driven to attempt suicide by a fake aunt and uncle who want to collect her estate.
- DVD 157
- Each dawn I die
- A muckraking reporter is framed for murder and sent to a particularly brutal prison.
- DVD 12771
- Forbidden Hollywood collection.
- Five classic films that offer a rare glimpse at a lost era of "pre-code" provocative filmmaking. Disc 1: First, Bill and Jack are railroad men. When Bill comes to stay with Jack and his wife, Bill and Lily fall in love. Jack confronts Bill about his suspicions and the two fight, leaving Jack seriously injured. Last, Joan Gordon is a singer tiring of her relationship with Eddie. She flees to North Dakota to become a mail-order bride. Happiness is threatened by her stubborn husband, a lecherous neighbor and the appearance of Eddie. Disc 2: First, Jenny was orphaned by the 1906 earthquake and fire and has gone on to become the madame of a prosperous bawdy house. After putting her son up for adoption, he becomes a district attorney dedicated to closing down such houses. She kills an underling who wants her son dead and is now facing execution. Last, A mistaken arrest, a prison term, and lack of employment leads to a young woman's involvement with gangsters. In a brothel she meets a wealthy lawyer who falls in love with her. He helps her turn her life around, but her past catches up with her. Now she is on trial for murder. Disc 3: First, A man stands up during a WWI battle and becomes a hero, but he doesn't get the credit. He becomes injuried and soon gets hooked on morphine, causing him to fall apart when he returns home. He eventually marries, but soon the Depression hits. Last, Tom and Ed are high school students whose parents, thanks to the Depression, have lost their jobs. Wanting to help make money, they set off on the rails looking for work. They finally end up in New York and Ed thinks he might have foud a job. Disc 4: Wild Bill: Explores the life and directorial times of William A. Wellman. The men who made the movies: Wellman shares many stories and speaks bluntly of the producers with who he has worked and describes his remarkable star-making and star-spotting abilities. He was responsible for helping actors win Oscars and discovered such notable actors as James Cagney and Gary Cooper.
- DVD 8076
- Gary Cooper collection.
- Beau Geste: Three brothers join the French Foreign Legion to escape a dark past. But their troubles are quickly forgotten as their courage, duty and devotion is put to the test when they are forced to fight against all odds in this acclaimed film classic. The lives of a Bengal Lancer: A man joins two other Bengal Lancers in the quest to protect British India's Northwest Frontier from Islamic invaders.
- DVD 6769 v.2
- Mutiny on the Bounty
- In 1789, the English ship H.M.S. Bounty begins a two-year mission. The ship travels to Tahiti to obtain breadfruit plants that will provide cheap food for slaves in the West Indies, the Bounty's final destination. The captain is William Bligh, a vicious taskmaster who doesn't flinch at giving two dozen lashes to any malcontent on board, for the most minor of infractions. The first mate is Lt. Fletcher Christian, who despises Bligh but has somehow earned the captain's respect. Bligh makes life miserable for the crew, and after the Bounty leaves Tahiti for the West Indies, Bligh orders the ship's doctor, a dying man, to stand on deck despite his illness. The doctor dies, which begins a chain reaction of anger leading to Christian leading a mutiny against Bligh.
- DVD 8305