Films & Other Videos
Films with: Tolstoy, Leo
- Anna Karenina
- Anna Karenina, dutiful wife and doting mother, knows contentment but not passion. That changes when she meets ardent Count Vronsky. For him, she throws away marriage, family, social position and finally her life.
- DVD 4446
- Anna Karenina
- Set in late 19th century Russia high-society, the aristocrat Anna Karenina enters into a life-changing affair with the affluent Count Vronsky.
- DVD 9466
- "In his ruthlessly clear-eyed final film, French master Robert Bresson pushed his unique blend of spiritual rumination and formal rigor to a new astringency. Transposing a Tolstoy novella to contemporary Paris, L'argent follows a counterfeit bill as it originates in a schoolboy prank, then circulates like a virus among the corrupt and the virtuous alike before landing with a young truck driver, leading him to incarceration and violence"--Container.
- DVD 12728
- Kavkazskiĭ plennik Prisoner of the mountains /
- A Russian army patrol is ambushed by Caucasian rebels and two survivors are taken prisoner, by a local patriarch who is hoping to barter them for the release of his captured son. A bond of understanding develops between the soldiers and their captors, but it is broken when plans for their release go awry and a chain of violence and retaliation is precipitated.
- DVD 1803
- Tolstoy's Anna Karenina
- Story of passion and family conflict set in 19th century upper-class Russia in which the wife of an aristocrat falls in love with a dashing calvary officer.
- DVD 965
- Voĭna i mir
- Napoleon's army advances through Europe, and the high society of St. Petersburg discusses philosophical matters: What sets history in motion? The ambition of an emperor, the hastiness of a tsar, or the talent of a military commander? The destiny of Russia is inseparable from that of Andrei Bolkonsky, Pierre Bezukhov, and Natasha Rostova.
- DVD 1913