Films & Other Videos
Films with: Thurman, Robert A. F.
- Creating Buddhas the making and meaning of fabric thangkas /
- The story of a western woman who became a fabric thangka maker. Now, wiith great love and devotion, she is bringing the gift of fabric thangka to our culture. Fabric thangka is a silk embroidered and appliquéd art form in Tibetan Buddhism and is also known as Appliqué Thangka, Brocade Thangka, and Silk Thangka. Fabric thangka is so rare that in some places it is only seen once a year, and then for only for a few hours. Trained in Dharamsala, India for nine years, Leslie Rinchen-Wongmo is one of the few female makers in the world and one of the only fabric thangka makers in the west. This film also explores Leslie's life-changing journey of discovering fabric thangka, her apprenticeship in Dharmasala, India, the step-by-step by process of producing a fabric thangka, and the history and spiritual importance in Tibetan Buddhism. Through this film, we see her produce a thangka of the female Buddha Tara. In a sense, Leslie is like Tara. She became a master of a male tradition and we see fabric thangka through feminine eyes.
- DVD 6933
- Ethics and the world crisis a dialogue with the Dalai Lama /
- His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet discusses the ethical dilemmas of the new millennium with renowned journalists, economists, environmentalists and politicians. One of the world's leading spiritual mentors for our troubled times, he offers hope for positive social change with his inspirational dialogues, enlightening teachings and surprising humor.
- DVD 4558
- Robert A.F. Thurman on Tibet Robert A.F. Thurman on Buddhism /
- [Disc 1] (On Tibet) Robert A.F. Thurman presents lectures on the history of Tibet and the role of Tibetan Buddhism from ancient times to the present. [Disc 2] (Buddhism) Thurman discusses the Buddha in the world and the difficulties and methods of becoming one; the four noble truths, the three wheels of Dharma, the three vehicles, and the metaphor of the turning of the wheel of Dharma; and the Sanga, or community of those who try to live according to the Dharma.
- DVD 1928