Films & Other Videos
Films with: Tanaka, Kinuyo
- Higanbana Equinox flower /
- In Ozu's first color film, a stubborn businessman with traditional views is faced with a modern-minded daughter and her nontraditional fiance.
- DVD 12790
- Kinoshita and World War II
- [Disc 1]: Port of flowers ( Hana saku minato ) -- Two con men arrive in a seaside town to swindle the locals, but soon they have a crisis of conscience (1943) [Disc 2]: The living magoroku ( Ikite iru Magoroku ) -- Under pressure form neighbors, a wealthy family must decide if they want to cultivate soil that hasn't been tilled for centuries in order to aid the war effort. (1943) [Disc 3]: Jubilation street ( Kanko no machi ) -- A close community must evactuate their beloved neighborhood. (1944) [Disc 4]: Army (Rikugun) -- A young man is shipped off to war, and his mother and father have different reactions. (1944) [Disc 5]: Morning for the Osone family ( Osone-ke ashita ) -- After Japan's unconditional surrender, this family drama functions as an angry indictment of Japanese imperialism. (1946).
- DVD 10794
- Sanshô dayû Sansho the bailiff /
- When an idealistic governor disobeys the reigning feudal lord, he is cast into exile, his wife and children left to fend for themselves and eventually wrenched apart by vicious slave drivers.
- DVD 5265
- In sixteenth century Japan a village potter and his brother-in-law set out for the city to seek their fortunes in the spoils of war. Their neglected wives suffer the bitter consequences of their husbands' ambition as one is murdered by soldiers and the other is raped and becomes a prostitute.
- DVD 4696
- Yoru no onnatachi Women of the night /
- Filmed on location in Osaka, Women of the night concerns two sisters, Fusako and Natsuko, one a war widow and the other in an affair with a drug dealer. Along with their younger friend Kumiko they fall into prostitution and moral chaos and a life of gangs and gangsters, trapped by their city's postwar desperation and devastation.
- DVD 8605