Films & Other Videos
Films with: Sugimura, Haruko
- Consists of four stories of the supernatural based on Japanese folk material. In The black hair, a poor young samurai leaves his first wife to marry a rich woman. When he is unhappy in his second marriage, he returns to his first wife, who at first appears unchanged from when he last saw her. In The woman of the snow, a woodcutter is spared by a mysterious ghost-like woman in the snow, but must promise never to tell anyone what he has seen. In Hoichi, the earless, a blind musician-monk named Hoichi is commanded by a gathering of ghosts to sing the saga of their ancient deeds. The head monk paints Hoichi's body with prayer verses to protect him, but unfortunately overlooks Hoichi's ears. In In a cup of tea, a writer wonders what would happen to a person who drinks another's soul and finds out.
- DVD 7590
- Ohayō Good morning /
- Satiric comedy in which two young brothers refuse to talk until their parents agree to buy them a television set. Set in a 1950s residential suburb of Tokyo.
- DVD 1683
- Tōkyō monogatari Tokyo story /
- Tokyo Story follows an aging couple, Tomi and Sukichi, on their journey from their rural village to visit their two married children in bustling, post-war Tokyo. Their reception is disappointing: too busy to entertain them, their children send them off to a health spa. After Tomi falls ill she and Sukichi return home, while the children, grief-stricken, hasten to be with her.
- DVD 3386
- An aging actor returns to the town where his son lives, who has believed all these years that he is his uncle rather than his father.
- DVD 8127
- Waga seishun ni kuinashi No regrets for our youth /
- A story of feminist self-discovery set in pre-war Japan. A woman breaks conventions by striking out on her own and being self-sufficient.
- DVD 6387