Films & Other Videos
Films with: Stravinsky, Igor
- Final chorale
- A documentary featuring Stravinsky's colleague and intimate friend Robert Craft, scrutinizes the composition, instrumentation, and historic background of Stravinsky's Symphonies d'Instruments à vent. Includes archival footage of Stravinsky, along with a performance by the Netherlands Wind Ensemble conducted by Reinbert de Leeuw. Michael Gielen, Charles Rosen, and Carl E. Schorske, historian, analyze the complexities of Schoenberg's atonal Opus 16 and discuss various aspects of Schoenberg's life and works. Gielen rehearses and performs the work with the Netherlands Radio Philharmonic. Rosen also performs the final movement of Schoenberg's Three piano pieces, op. 11.
- DVD 5778
- Keeping score Stravinsky's Rite of spring /
- Documentary about Igor Stravinsky and the places and music that inspired his ballet "The rite of spring", featuring Michael Tilson Thomas and the San Francisco Symphony.
- DVD 3
- Pierre Boulez conductor /
- "The astonishingly precise ear for pitch and sonority that has made Pierre Boulez a leading composer and a trenchant conductor of contemporary music is one secret of his success as a performer of Debussy. It surely helps that, as a fellow French musician, he understands the language of his great predecessor. On this film footage, Boulez is seen working on Fêtes and Jeux and conducting the three varied pieces that make up the Images. His legendary sense of rhythm comes into play in Stravinsky's The rite of spring, and his is the ideal interpreter for Schoenberg's Accompaniment to a cinematographic scene, op. 34"--Container.
- DVD 9157
- Search for Nijinsky's Rite of spring
- A documentary on Millicent Hodson's and Kenneth Archer's attempts to recreate the original choreography by Vasclav Nijinsky and original sets and costumes by Nicholas Roerich for the original production in 1913 of Igor Stravinsky's ballet, The rite of spring. The full reconstructed ballet, Sacre du printemps = The rite of spring : pictures of pagan Russia in two acts (Joffrey Ballet ; Orchestra of the National Theatre, Prague ; Allan Lewis, conductor) follows the documentary.
- DVD 5933
- Stravinsky et les Ballet russes Stravinsky and the Ballets russes /
- In celebration of the debut of the Ballets Russes in Paris in 1909, this wonderful Stravinsky evening at the Mariinsky Theatre showcases the original Nijinsky version of The Rite of Spring for the first time on DVD along with The Firebird, both conducted by Valery Gergiev. Thanks to the relentless work of Millicent Hodson, Nijinsky's original choreography has now been recreated, performed by the lead dancers and Ballet Company of the Saint Petersburg's Mariinsky Theatre conducted by Valery Geriev, known the world over for his interpretation of Stravinsky's works.
- DVD 7601