Films & Other Videos
Films with: Solinas, Franco
- Bataille d'Alger The battle of Algiers /
- Dramatizes the harrowing events of 1957, a key year in Algeria's struggle for independence from France. Recreates the tumultuous Algerian uprising against the occupying French in the 1950s. As violence escalates on both sides, the French torture prisoners for information and the Algerians resort to terrorism in their quest for independence. Children shoot soldiers at point-blank range, women plant bombs in cafés. The French win the battle, but ultimately lose the war as the Algerian people demonstrate that they will no longer be suppressed.
- DVD 2763
- Sir William Walker is sent to secure a plantation at a Portuguese colony. While there be befriends Jose and Teddy, and plants the seeds of revolution in their heads. Years later he must go back and stop the revolution that he helped begin.
- DVD 4124
- Mr. Klein
- Set in Nazi-occupied France, 'Mr. Klein' is the riveting story of one man's search for another who shares his name, and who has stolen his identity.
- DVD 3010
- Salvatore Giuliano
- A documentary-style drama chronicling the rise and fall of the title character, a real-life Mob chieftain who rose to prominence in post-WWII Sicily.
- DVD 1457
- State of siege
- Costa-Gavras puts the United States' involvement in South American politics under the microscope in this arresting thriller. An urban guerilla group, outraged at the counterinsurgency and torture training clandestinely organized by the CIA in their country (unnamed in the film), abducts a U.S. official to bargain for the release of political prisoners; soon the kidnapping becomes a media sensation, leading to violence.
- DVD 10933