Films & Other Videos
Films with: Smith, Llewellyn
- American denial
- "In 1938, Swedish researcher and Nobel Laureate Gunnar Myrdal plunges into America's Jim Crow South. His resulting study, An American dilemma (1944), poses a profoundly unsettling question: How can a people devoted to the American creed of equality, justice and opportunity for all continue to erect obstacles to those ends based on race? Through Myrdal's story and contemporary racial dynamics, the film explores how denial, cognitive dissonance, and implicit bias persist and shape all of our lives"--From container.
- DVD 10921
- Herskovits at the heart of blackness
- This documentary traces the career of Melville J. Herskovits, the pioneering American anthropologist of African Studies and controversial intellectual who established the first African Studies Center at an American university and authored, The Myth of the Negro Past. Rarely seen archival footage, provocative animation, and unique photo montage re-enactments propel the story and interviews from leading scholars of race and culture forward.
- DVD 6537
- Race the power of an illusion /
- [This series] challenges one of our most fundamental beliefs: that humans come divided into a few distinct biological groups, telling an eye-opening tale of how what we assume to be normal, commonsense, even scientific, is actually shaped by our history, social institutions and cultural beliefs. Episode one explores how recent scientific discoveries have toppled the concept of biological race. Episode two questions the belief that race has always been with us. It traces the race concept to the European conquest of the Americas. Episode three focuses on how our institutions shape and create race.
- DVD 2704
- Raising of America early childhood and the future of our nation /
- "The first documentary series to explore how a strong start for all our kids can lead to a healthier, safer, better educated and more prosperous and equitable America."--Container.
- DVD 11094
- Rebel Loreta Velazquez, secret soldier of the American Civil War /
- In 1861, at the outbreak of the American Civil War, a teenager from New Orleans headed to the front lines. Under the alias Harry T. Buford, he fought at First Bull Run, was wounded at Shiloh, and served as a Confederate spy. By 1863, Buford was working for the Union. But Buford harbored a secret: he was really Loreta Velazquez, a Cuban immigrant from New Orleans.
- DVD 10908