Films & Other Videos
Films with: Sender, Katherine
- Brand new you makeover television and the American dream /
- "Offers a wide-ranging cultural analysis of the stories makeover programs tell about beauty, success, and happiness at a time of accelerating social and economic change. The result is a look at how our ideas about the American Dream, meritocracy, and personal transformation relate to institutional power structures and issues of race, gender, sexuality, and class"--Container.
- DVD 11497
- Further off the straight and narrow new gay visibility on television, 1998-2006 /
- Surveys network dramas, sitcoms, reality shows, and premium cable programming to show how the portrayal of GLBT characters is often marked by ambivalence and tension. The film cautions that although GLBT characters and plotlines have become more prevalent and complex in recent years, the images and stories portrayed continue to be shaped by narrow commercial imperatives. The film argues that the evolution of GLBT representations should be seen as a recognition of GLBT consumers and gay taste by advertisers rather than as a sign that the struggle for gay equality has been won.
- DVD 5013
- Off the straight & narrow lesbians, gays, bisexuals & television /
- Casts a critical eye over the growth of gay images on TV. Leading media scholars provide the historical and cultural context for exploring the social implications of these new representations. Challenges viewers to consider the value and limits of available gay images: who is represented, what they get to say, and how people respond to them.
- DVD 10762