Films & Other Videos
Films with: Schwarz, Michael
- Botany of desire
- Shows how human desires are an essential, intricate part of natural history. The program will explore the natural history of four plants -the apple, the tulip, marijuana, and the potato - and the corresponding human desires - sweetness, beauty, intoxication and control. This two-hour documentary begins in Michael Pollan's garden, and roams the world, from the fields of Iowa to the apple forests of Kazakhstan, from a medical marijuana hot house to the tulip markets of Amsterdam.
- DVD 7205
- Extreme by design
- Extreme By Design follows multi-disciplinary teams of Stanford University business, engineering and medical students as they collaborate in the design of innovative products and services to solve problems of the world's poor. One project must create a breathing device to keep babies alive in Bangladesh. Another seeks a way to store drinking water in Indonesia. The third designs an IV medicine infusion pump. It's all a part of the Design for Extreme Affordability course inspired and launched by the Stanford d.school. The film begins on the first day of the course and ends eight months later as one group of students returns to Asia to test their device amid plans to launch a startup.
- DVD 9758
- Hunting the hidden dimension
- "Nova takes viewers on a fascinating quest with a group of pioneering mathematicians determined to decipher the rules that govern fractal geometry. Their remarkable findings are deepening our understanding of nature and stimulating a new wave of scientific, medical and artistic innovation, stretching from the ecology of the rainforest to fashion design."--Container.
- DVD 7008
- Muhammad legacy of a prophet /
- Tells the story of the seventh century prophet who changed world history in 23 years, and continues to shape the lives of more than 1.2 billion people. The film takes viewers not only to ancient Middle Eastern sites where Muhammad's story unfolds, but into the homes, mosques and workplaces of some of America's estimated seven million Muslims to discover the many ways in which they follow Muhammad's example.
- DVD 8390
- Paul Ehrlich and the population bomb
- Based on Erlich's best-selling book, The Population Bomb, the program features compelling archival footage from around the world, as well as interviews with Ehrlich, his colleagues, and his critics.
- DVD 6886