Films & Other Videos
Films with: Scheffer, Frank
- Conducting Mahler Mahler : Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen = [I have lost touch with the world] /
- Conducting Mahler documents the interpretations of Gustav Mahler's compositions by conductors Bernard Haitink, Riccardo Chailly, Riccardo Muti, Claudio Abbado and Simon Rattle. The film includes rehearsals and performances of each of Mahler's ten symphonies at the Mahler Festival in May 1995. Mahler : Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen is based on Mahler's 9th symphony. In this film Riccardo Chailly and biographer Henry-Louis de la Grange analyse the four movements of this work.
- DVD 5753
- Final chorale
- A documentary featuring Stravinsky's colleague and intimate friend Robert Craft, scrutinizes the composition, instrumentation, and historic background of Stravinsky's Symphonies d'Instruments à vent. Includes archival footage of Stravinsky, along with a performance by the Netherlands Wind Ensemble conducted by Reinbert de Leeuw. Michael Gielen, Charles Rosen, and Carl E. Schorske, historian, analyze the complexities of Schoenberg's atonal Opus 16 and discuss various aspects of Schoenberg's life and works. Gielen rehearses and performs the work with the Netherlands Radio Philharmonic. Rosen also performs the final movement of Schoenberg's Three piano pieces, op. 11.
- DVD 5778
- Labyrinth of time
- Shows Carter's musical development using New York City as a metaphor for our democratic society. Daniel Barenboim, Charles Rosen and Pierre Boulez give their views on Carter's music.
- DVD 5775
- Pierre Boulez Eclat ; Sur incises /
- (Film 1) Eclat (52 min.) is a study of resonance written for fifteen instruments that Boulez created in 1965. The musicians play semi-improvisational material prescribed within "boxes" in Boulez's score. (Film 2) In A Lesson By Pierre Boulez (50 min.), the composer explains the hidden architecture of his work "Sur Incises" to a non-specialized young audience. He talks about his work as a composer and explains the musical movements that make up its construction. (Film 3) Boulez conducts "Sur Incises."
- DVD 5779