Films & Other Videos
Films with: Sakamoto, Takeshi
- Chichi arikii There was a father /
- After the death of his wife, a school teacher raises his son alone in Kanazawa. One day the father accompanies his students on a field trip and one of the students is fatally injured. Taking responsibility for the accident, the father puts his son in a boarding school and goes to work in a factory in Tokyo. The son grows up to become a teacher and eventually meets his father again. He expresses his desire to quit his job, move to Tokyo and live together with his father. The father is horrified at this idea and admonishes his son to return to his work and not put his own feelings above his responsibilities.
- DVD 9072
- Set in a crowded city tenement, a story of contrasts depicting an illiterate, lighthearted brewery worker, who is also a single father to a young, educated son. Their relationship is complicated when a woman becomes involved.
- DVD 8522
- Tōkyō no kōrasu
- His son wants a bicycle, his daughter a balloon, his wife just wants to have financial stability. Low wage-earning dad Okajima is counting on his bonus to make ends meet. His wife and children also eagerly await the additional money. But payday doesn't go exactly as planned.
- DVD 8509
- Ukigusa monogatari A story of floating weeds /
- In 1959, Yasujiro Ozu remade his 1934 silent film: A Story of Floating Weeds in color and sound with the cinematographer Kazuo Miyagawa (Rashomon, Ugetsu). Setting his later version in a seaside location, Ozu otherwise preserves the details of his elegantly simple plot wherein an aging actor returns to a small town with his troupe and reunities with his former lover and illegitimate son, a scenario that enrages his current mistress and results in heartbreak for all. A Story of Floating Weeds reveals Ozu in the midst of developing his mode of expression; Floating weeds reveals his distinct style at its pinnacle. In each, the director captures the joy and sadness in everyday life.
- DVD 4584
- Umarete wa mita keredo otona no miru ehon /
- A portrait of the financial and psychological toils of a family, as two young boys come to understand their father's low status in society.
- DVD 8521