Films & Other Videos
Films with: Sakamoto, Ryūichi
- Hara-kiri Death of a samurai /
- "An tale of revenge, honor and disgrace, centering on a poverty-stricken samurai who discovers the fate of his ronin son-in-law, setting in motion a tense showdown of vengeance against the house of a feudal lord."--IMDb.com
- DVD 9971
- Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence
- In a Japanese prison camp on Java in 1942, two British officers, John Lawrence and Jack Celliers, encounter camp commander Yonoi and his sergeant Hara. Things had been going pretty well, until charismatic, rebellious Celliers arrived. Yonoi is a devotee of the samurai ideal; neither he nor Hara can understand the stoic way in which the British prisoners accept their situation of defeat. Lawrence speaks Japanese, and ceaselessly tries to mediate between the prisoners and their overseers, translating both the words and the values of the two races. Celliers' attitude, however, is more comprehensible to Yonoi. He and Celliers arrive at a sort of détente, based on an admiration for the other, but this eventually turns into a contest of wills as the camp's carefully nurtured equilibrium is destroyed.
- DVD 8567
- Sheltering sky
- An American artist couple, drawn by desire to the Sahara, travel there shortly after World War II in order to follow their passionate obsessions in an attempt to recapture the love they once shared.
- DVD 1620