Films & Other Videos
Films with: Rayns, Tony
- 3 groschenoper The 3 penny opera /
- "Set in the impoverished back alleys of Victorian London, The threepenny opera follows underworld antihero Mackie Messer (a.k.a. Mack the Knife) as he tries to woo Polly Peachum and elude the authorities. With a palpable evocation of corruption and dread, set to Weill's irresistible score, The threepenny opera remains a benchmark of early sound cinema." -- container.
- DVD 5091
- Akai satsui Intentions of murder /
- Sadako is a typical Imamura heroine: one who revels in the pleasures of food, labor, sex, and self-preservation. Carrying the burden of her status as a lowly, poor, prostitute-birthed commoner wife, Sadako is subjected to an escalating series of belittlement both at home and in society.
- DVD 10032
- Buta to gunkan Pigs and battleships /
- Portrays postwar Japan through the power struggles between small-time gangsters in the port town of Yokosuka, where American soldiers are based.
- DVD 9982
- Gu ling jie shao nian sha ren shi jian A brighter summer day /
- Set in the early sixties in Taiwan, it is based on the true story of a crime that rocked the nation. A film of both sprawling scope and tender intimacy, this novelistic, patiently observed epic centers on the gradual, inexorable fall of a young teenager.
- DVD 11680
- Nippon konchūki The insect woman /
- Portrays 45 years in the life of a woman and her struggles to survive. The story progresses from her life as a country girl to her years as a successful and ruthless madam in Tokyo and back again to her native village.
- DVD 10033
- Seven samurai
- Tells the story of a sixteenth-century village whose desperate inhabitants hire seven out-of-work warriors to protect them from invading bandits.
- DVD 6